help needed incubating eggs

• 4 Replies

padster

help needed incubating eggs
« on: September 03, 2009, 17:25 »
Hi everyone, we are new to poultry keeping, our friends have started keeping chickens and has incubated eggs (2 batches earlier in the summer) our daughter was really keen and friends said they would get us some fertile bartam eggs and loan us there incubator, but it has taken them a while to get these eggs, and have only just got them.  We are worried that it is too late in the year to start hatching young chicks, our friend reckons that it will be OK, can anyone help us, some has mentioned that because the days are getting shorter they might not get enough day-light hours and could get rickets.  WE are confused can anyone give us some advice??? 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 18:27 by padster »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: help needed incubating eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 20:00 »
Sorry never hatched in an incubator (only under broodies) but hopefully one of the peeps on here who do use incubators may be able to help you  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Happy Hens

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 16:04 »
Hi,

I incubate eggs all year round, just as long as I have the eggs to put in.
Theres know reason why you can't do it. All what counts is that as it gets colder you use the heat lamp longer and where in the summer you put them out from about 3/4 weeks you can't do that in the winter. So you have to keep the haet on longer. They stay indoors longer as its cold but apart from that theres know reason I can think why you can not. As long as you have the space to keep them in.  If thats any help.   :D ::) :D ::) :D

Hi everyone, we are new to poultry keeping, our friends have started keeping chickens and has incubated eggs (2 batches earlier in the summer) our daughter was really keen and friends said they would get us some fertile bartam eggs and loan us there incubator, but it has taken them a while to get these eggs, and have only just got them.  We are worried that it is too late in the year to start hatching young chicks, our friend reckons that it will be OK, can anyone help us, some has mentioned that because the days are getting shorter they might not get enough day-light hours and could get rickets.  WE are confused can anyone give us some advice??? 
Happy Hens Make Garden Friends

Vember

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 16:32 »
Have you already got hens?
I think if you've not then starting by hatching eggs is jumping in at the deep end especially at this time of year :)

I agree with the above that really there isn't a huge problem in doing so, but the birds will need to be kept indoors a lot longer :) It isn't just a case of popping the eggs in an incy and then putting them outside when they get bigger or if they start to make a mess :)

Another thing to consider is what you are going to do with the males that hatch? It is very difficult/ near impossible to re home the boys :(

I started off with pol birds and didn't start hatching my own until I'd had them a couple of years, it looks easy and sounds easy but I really think you should consider everything before going ahead and setting the eggs :)
Have a read at Katie Threars guide to incubation and rearing it's full of the ups and downs of hatching :)

My opinion get some adult birds and do the whole chick thing next spring maybe let a broody hen do the work for you it's far easier :D

Sarah :)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 00:01 »
I'd agree with Vember.  There's no reason why you can't hatch now but you'll have young chicks to raise at the worst time of the year weatherwise and you don't seem to have got this thought through so I'd say do your homework first and if you still want to hatch some, time it so they hatch in late March or April so you can put them out at 4 - 5 weeeks when hopefully the worst weather is passed and you have prepared their housing etc.

Regards
Truth through science.

xx
incubating eggs

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 12:57
by Casey76
xx
incubating eggs

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 17:50
by Foxy
clip
Incubating Eggs at interval

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2015, 09:26
by joyfull
xx
Incubating chicken eggs

Started by Justinwadey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 13:05
by Sarah Mitchell

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 36 queries.