Spuds ...what chance have they got?

• 9 Replies

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
Spuds ...what chance have they got?
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:44 »
Ok i moved onto my new plot just over a week ago and am doing as much as possible to get things sorted but i think im going to be hard pushed to grow much this season. However in anticipation i have had spuds chitting away for ages at home and decided that rather than let these go to waste i would plant some to at least give a chance of a crop. I dont think there much nutrition in the soil  at all but i planted some where id dug yesterday. Is there anything i can feed them with now or should i wait till (if any) foliage shows and start to feed them then and if so what to feed with. I did give the ground some BFB in the trench before planting so hopefully that will help a bit.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

B_and_D

Re: Spuds ...what chance have they got?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:09 »
Is there a reason why you think your soil won't have much nutrition?  Is it extremely sandy?

We have added some comfrey to the spuds in the past, and also used growmore - both years we got good harvest, but not sure if it's the feed or the soil that caused it...maybe just beginners luck!  ::)

bigben

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:30 »
As B&D suggests your soil may be OK - if you have just taken it over what were the weeds like? If your plot was thick with weeds there is a good chance the soil has something in it. If not then maybe your right in thinking there is not much goodness in the soil(You may have just taken over from a tidy gardener who left last week of course).

I have been chopping nettles and filled an old chicken manure container with them then filled it with water- the plan is let them soak for a few weeks and use the nettle tea to boost my spuds. I also have access to come comfrey and plan on doing the same with that. There is also all the stuff you can buy to chuck on your spuds, BFB, chicken manure etc. Give it a go - the worst that could happen is only get a few small spuds but it will break up the ground and suppress weeds in the process.

Plottered

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:35 »
The land thats been acquired for the allotments has been waste land for about 30 years (although it was allotment land back then) so im thinking that nothings been done to the land for years and years and yes the soil is quite dust like on top but light clay after going down a spades depth. Ive planted them now so if i get a crop i'll be delighted but just wondered what people might think the chances are without having manured or fed the soil beforehand.

thanks.

bigben posted as i was replying so heres a bit more. Weeds are steadily growing so maybe theres a chance anyway and yep i have some comfrey i can chuck on later on

thanks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:40 by Plottered »

Plottered

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:36 »
Bigben thanks for that info m8 will take that on board

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 15:16 »
You'll still get a crop as potatoes are desperate to grow, but it might not be quite as large a crop as a manured plot, but still worth the effort.
If weeds are growing well on it, then that's an indication the soil is reasonably good. Dandelions in particular will pull up nutrients from way down in the soil. If you're pulling up dock and dandelion roots, instead of tossing them, get a large bucket of water in which to add the (soil-free) roots so they'll eventually rot to mush, and use that enriched mush to feed your plants. Might take a few months but worthwhile and free.

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 22:59 »
Go steady on the chicken manure if you were thinking of adding that because it's slightly alkaline and tatties don't like it. It won't kill them but they may end up scabbed.

Plottered

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:15 »
thanks for the advice guys its very much appreciated.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 23:13 »
Ive only had my plot since December and my potatos have gone into the (well dug) soil without any manure etc.

I added some 'potato fertiliser' when i planted them and more at the weekend (about 6 weeks in).. hoping that will help :)

Plottered

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 16:14 »
Ive had a furtle today and im well chuffed as theres spuds under there and quite decent looking to, im going to leave them a bit longer before pulling up though. These have had very little attention so it just goes to show what can be done with very little effort.

xx
Second chance ?

Started by Cleo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 14:53
by peapod
xx
Took a chance

Started by Barry C on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 08:01
by Barry C
xx
whats the chance of

Started by gimli on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 00:30
by shokkyy
xx
celeriac 2nd chance

Started by svenrufus on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 16:44
by Jodie A

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 35 queries.