Grapevine

• 4 Replies

Antonius

• My space away from the rat race
Grapevine
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:36 »
I bought this Grapevine from Mr Fothergills about a year ago. It wasn't in the best of nick when it arrived,but this pic shows my first bunch. I've been told to take it easy on the vine for a couple of years and just gradually allow more and more fruit to set.
Boskoop grapevine [iPhone].JPG
I wouldn't say I was the best manager for the job,but I would say I'm in the top one! (Brian Clough)

Babstreefern

Re: Grapevine
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44 »
I bought mine a couple of years ago, and I never touched my first lot of fruit.  Then in the winter (November), I cut back the vine to 2ft; this year I let it grow, cutting back on the side shoots (just two main branches growing) and I've got even more fruit, again, I won't bother with the fruit, but I will not be cutting it down in November.  Next year, I will then take off the grapes - can't wait :D

Just remember not to feed or water.  You have to let it suffer to get the fruit.  It searches for its own nutrients and water.  Mine has its roots in the ground of my greenhouse where its shaded and the vine itself grows across the roof of my g/house along three sets of canes slung across
Babs

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 13:28 »
I have  grapevine growing in a large pot - its doing well so far  but will i need to feed at all as I imagine the nutrients the pot must be almost exhausted. Not grown one before so totally in the dark.

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 15:07 »
Mine are in big pots and judging bythem, I'd say yes they need to be fed. Tomato feed should be good, and manure at the appropriate time, too. (Not sure when that is though. That's why I was looking at this thread. ;) )
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Antonius

• My space away from the rat race
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 16:40 »
I'm confused now. I have read not to feed and/or water. Then I read about people wanting to feed and water! :wacko:

xx
What Grapevine?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 12:31
by She'sinthegarden
xx
Grapevine

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 09:57
by jambop
xx
grapevine

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 14:02
by Trillium
xx
Grapevine

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 06, 2020, 15:53
by New shoot

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 38 queries.