Lots and lots of tomato side-shoots...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Lots and lots of tomato side-shoots...
« on: July 08, 2018, 16:25 »
One oddity arising from this extraordinary hot weather, is the high number of side shoots appearing very quickly, both at the base of the plant and in the usual places up the main stem. Some of them are bushing at the top as well - especially those Chocolate Cherokee toms!

It has to be a symptom of a plant trying to survive under such extreme heat - they're getting plenty of water every day!

We have about forty plants, so maybe, when it gets cooler, I can start up a winter variety and keep them all going! We did it a couple of years ago, but for a fortnight's earliness, it wasn't really worth the hassle...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lots and lots of tomato side-shoots...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 16:41 »
Some of mine think they are bushes as well - attacked the plants with the secateurs this week and order has been restored - still no ripe fruit on the plants in the g/h borders though. Just a few from the small potted types so far!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 17:17 »
Well, my Red Alert really are bushes, and despite being supposedly handicapped by being in an open cold frame (i.e. not in the GH) as ever they are the first to set fruit, and boy are they setting fruit!  :ohmy:
2 plants are sharing a 60L compost bag-cum-growbag, and although I can't really see through the jungle of leaves and flowers, there must be a couple of hundred between them (think I should do something about that, but can't bring myself to ruin their party!)

As for the GH, nearly all the plants have 2 leaders, which I have to live with - as for side shoots, they either grow while my back's turned or I need to change opticians!  8)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 18:05 »
(think I should do something about that, but can't bring myself to ruin their party!)
that's about the size of it. My outside crimson crush have been harvested for a week now, rather early given the heat . I'm guessing the plants know what they're doing outside, and while I take the odd armpit off, for which the crimson crush are well known, I'm loathe to disturb what is clearly a lovely time for them. Later in the season I will have to cut big branches off, but that's then. I've always been undecided where it comes to determinants and indeterminates. i sort of play it by ear, look to the fruit produced, and whether I trip over the plants. We all get on in the end.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 20:36 by mumofstig »

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 20:36 »
Some of my tomatoes are being a bit weird to say the least.  Several have grown 'blind' including all my Rio Grande, some Clibran's Victory and a few others.  All but the Rio Grande have developed from side shoots instead.  Ripening is reversed this year with the first ripe ones being Koralik outside. 
My experiment with seeds from a very tasty tomato I had at breakfast in a lovely hotel in Berat, Albania is interesting.  I grew several seeds in the polytunnel and greenhouse thinking that they would be used to high summer temperatures.  All the leaves are going crispy brown but there are some good size tomatoes developing.  I might try them outdoors next year - when no doubt it will be a miserably cold wet summer!
One tomato I got in a seed circle last year, called Scotland Yellow, is doing really well, as are my old favourites Tigerella and Essex Wonder.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 21:25 »
especially those Chocolate Cherokee toms!

Mine are behaving the same this year, but are not as bad as the Aunt Gertie's Gold plant I have.  I put it down to her being a bad influence, but perhaps it is their own idea after all  :lol:

All my greenhouse cordon toms got a session with the secateurs as well today. They are still not proper cordons even now, but at least it is a little less jungle like in there  :D

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 06:15 »
All my cordon types are trying to grow bushy and relatively short but they are fruiting (a bit). No more side shoots than usual, been picking them off as they've come. Of the varieties I'm growing the Super Marmande appear to be doing the best bit by now I would have expected to see a lot more height and trusses!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:00 »
Seems like we are all getting the symptoms! Thanks for the comments.

For the past three years, we've had our first toms on July 19th, but that won't happen this year...

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 13:45 »
 … and so are mine. I also notice my sweet corn aren't as tall as usual but I have tassels forming so should get some sort of crop. I have a theory that with all this constant very bright light during the recent sunny weeks means the plants don't need to grow as tall?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Pescador

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 21:04 »
If they're outdoors, just let them go "free range". I picked 30kg of Sungold from 8 plants by letting them grow that way last year.
20170807_135109.jpg
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:17
by dereklane
xx
First tomato side shoots

Started by Turnba on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 17:38
by Growster...
xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 23:47
by gillybee
xx
Growing Tomato side shoots

Started by DoubleDigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 14:29
by Gliitergirl

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 50 queries.