Show Onions

• 5 Replies

acwid

Show Onions
« on: January 10, 2014, 23:32 »
Hi folks, had a go at veg showing for the first time last year did ok for a 1st timer , I would just like to know a good all round show/eating onion as it really must do both , am also aware that I am late sowing them but its my local village show so I need to be in it to get a placing as they say ,many thanks Chris .

Salmo

Re: Show Onions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:33 »
You can buy plants which will be delivered to plant out in April. Unwins do Showmaster. Saves a lot of work. May seem an expensive way, but is it really if you get results?

Totty

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:25 »
Get some globo seed. Excellent eaters, and very good shape for the show bench. Ideally for large onions you would want to be sowing in mid December at the latest.
As mentioned, you can buy show variety plants. I only have experience with the Kelsae from dt browns last year. The plants were very poor, and came to nothing. The Globo I grew from seed did well though. Try doing a bit of research, as I bet there are some exhibitors local to you that you could get some plants from.
If you lived closer, you could of had some of my Ailsea, but I'm sure you will find someone nearby.
The other option is to grow from seed for the 'under 250g' class. You could get away with sowing something like Ciclope, or Centro, now.

Totty

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:31 »
Bedfordshire Champion do well, as do Ailsa Craig,

If you sow them now in some gentle heat to get them going, they'll be up in a few days and you'll be off!! Plant a single seed per module of course  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

acwid

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 16:26 »
Thank you all for your good advice you have given me a lot to think about, I was given a show onion with a girth of at least 10 to 12 inches don't no its weight  but it was very impressive and  tasted great it also lasted  about two months in the fridge wrapped in cling film ,I am been  trying my best to find out what variety it was but my mate is struggling to contact the chap who grew it ,so this is the reason I have asked my question as a back up .
Many thanks for all your help Chris .ps if I find out what variety this superb onion is I will let you no .

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 16:35 »
I always grow Kelsae & Ailsa Craig and most of the time get some outstanding onions..

xx
show onions 2

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 22:03
by vegmandan
xx
onions to show

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 27, 2023, 21:21
by AndyRVTR
xx
Onions for show

Started by Tom W. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 22:53
by Tom W.
xx
onions to show

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 22:37
by Steve.B

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 35 queries.