Councils Selling Off Allotments

• 96 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Councils Selling Off Allotments
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2010, 20:04 »
I'm really sorry to hearabout the bad news...

I think I would start by looking at the terms and conditions of the allotment site that you are on - if you were not supplied with a printed document when you took on the plot ask the secretary about this..  it might help.

I would imagine the land-owners (council) have a responsibility to offer alternative land but I'm not so sure about costs to plot holders...

Please keep us informed of how you get on.... and the best of luck.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

antwilk

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 13:02 »
I'm really sorry to hearabout the bad news...

I think I would start by looking at the terms and conditions of the allotment site that you are on - if you were not supplied with a printed document when you took on the plot ask the secretary about this..  it might help.

I would imagine the land-owners (council) have a responsibility to offer alternative land but I'm not so sure about costs to plot holders...

Please keep us informed of how you get on.... and the best of luck.

We are having a meeting on wednesday so i will keep you informed of what was said thanks again everyone.

Paul Plots

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2010, 14:51 »
I hope you get some good news antwilk.... not a pleasant prospect unless there are to be some gains for the plot holders.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2010, 17:10 »
Antwik - I hope someone has rang the Sentinel and they're send a reporter along. Councils don't like bad press (not that you'd guess it from the way Stoke's behaves!)

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Paul Plots

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30 »
Antwik - I hope someone has rang the Sentinel and they're send a reporter along. Councils don't like bad press (not that you'd guess it from the way Stoke's behaves!)

Press and information for the public is a brilliant idea...... spread the word and pile on the pressure...

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07 »

........ Just to add to what John's saying, get in touch with your MP and any prospective MP's in your area. This is a good time to be asking for political help, what with an election looming and all.
Coincidentally, as I was typing this, I just had a phone call from Chris Ruane's (Mp Vale of Clwyd) office, asking how they might help us in getting our own allotments up and running.
I was explaining that we need to get our change-of-use application through the planning office as quickly as possible before our friendly local farmer, who has offered to plough and cultivate the land for us, becomes fully committed on his own farm.
They have promised to contact the planning dept on our behalf asking them to expedite our application as quickly as possible.....

Use them. It's what they are there for.
You can contact all your local and national politicians through www.theyworkforyou.com
Don't be shy about asking for their help.
And good luck with it all.

Paul Plots

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2010, 14:44 »
Excellent advice NigelB.... your local MP will respond if you contact them but it can sometimes be a little on the slow side. Good luck.

James1

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2010, 16:54 »
I think Councils should be able to designate certain areas for gardening only within each borough....I know of so many people that would like to have a garden but cannot simply because they have no space. What do u all think?

madcat

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2010, 18:08 »

Now there is true ... BUT ... there is a General Election and a local election looming...  votes count for the next few months!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Paul Plots

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2010, 18:28 »
I think Councils should be able to designate certain areas for gardening only within each borough....I know of so many people that would like to have a garden but cannot simply because they have no space. What do u all think?

Sounds a lovely idea but building plots bring in huge profits compared with crisp carrots and they help local authorities meet government imposed targets.  :(

antwilk

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2010, 18:19 »
Thanks to all for your advice!

The council are saying they will relocate us on a like for like basis allowing us to take all livestock with us and compensate us for sheds and pens. As we are only classed as a temporary site, even though its been there for a very long time, i think this is fair. Its just a shame we cannot take our soil with us and all the hard work we have put in.

Paul Plots

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2010, 19:04 »
Thanks to all for your advice!

The council are saying they will relocate us on a like for like basis allowing us to take all livestock with us and compensate us for sheds and pens. As we are only classed as a temporary site, even though its been there for a very long time, i think this is fair. Its just a shame we cannot take our soil with us and all the hard work we have put in.

When the details of the "compensation" are discussed I would factor in the state of the soil... "free compost / soil improver" for every plot holder and I'd add that compensation needs to include something in return for the increased time / work-load moving to a new site will cause..

The last one they are very unlikely to agree to but it might make them favour the idea of providing some soil improver / compost etc to make up for it.

Just a thought... The council have tons to gain by moving you off - there are big budgets out there for new housing - the building firm will be making a mint and should be giving something back to the community in return for the profits they will undoubtedly rake in. It is big money business so make sure you and your fellow plotters get a reasonable & fair share!!  ;)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09 »
Ask for a clubhouse.

Hey. Why not?

Paul Plots

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2010, 14:43 »
Ask for a clubhouse.

Hey. Why not?

Like it..... what a brilliant idea!  ;)

Dopey113

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2013, 21:51 »
Went to my lotty today and had some sad news.... the council is selling it off to British Airways (to be used as a car park) I have people on the lotty are saying they have found another space for us just up the road... but apparently the drainage there is appalling and is always flooding... so I dont know what to do now!!
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

xx
Water Charges Threat to Allotments

Started by Tinbasher on Growing FAQs and other Information

118 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 01:14
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.