Ideas for new steel arch.?

• 6 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Ideas for new steel arch.?
« on: October 21, 2013, 20:55 »
Hi all. We are just about to install a new arch at the entrance to the path to front door, the orientation is east facing. It will be 1.5m wide by approx 2.5 m high. There is a new fence to the one side and a proposed new hedge to the other. My question is would a clematis Montana grandiflora be suitable as one climber? This plant was at the property before and had to be hoiked out to make way for the new landscaping. As the Montana is a fairly early flowering variety could I also have another clematis which flowers later also climbing the arch. I know Montana can be a brute, but thought if pruned it might work and it would be good to replace what was lost. I am keen to have a white flowering theme. Any advice or ideas welcome. Can I plant the climbers now or should I wait till spring?

Goosegirl

Re: Ideas for new steel arch.?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:14 »
The montana is lovely, but may be too vigorous for your arch. You can get a variety of clematis that flower at different times, so have a Giggle and see what there is.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 17:10 »
thanks GG - I did wonder about the vigourosity (just made up a word there), but it was previously growing over a fence and looked very pretty (and has a lovely scent, too), so I thought I could perhaps grow it up over the arch and along the fence next to it ... if you think it's a bad idea I'll certainly go back to the drawing board. :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 19:26 »
This is an excellent time of year to plant new plants.

Bear in mind that whatever you choose will increase the wind resistance of your arch so it will need to be very strong and well secured in the ground.

Evergreen honeysuckles flower well even when heavily pruned, and add glorious scent as well. Might be an alternative to clematis perhaps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 19:51 »
This is an excellent time of year to plant new plants.

Bear in mind that whatever you choose will increase the wind resistance of your arch so it will need to be very strong and well secured in the ground.

Evergreen honeysuckles flower well even when heavily pruned, and add glorious scent as well. Might be an alternative to clematis perhaps

Thanks Sunshine. Will definitely have a look at the honeysuckle options. The OH is going to set it in concrete to a decent depth, so will keep everything crossed.  :happy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 21:01 »
Just as advice (as you may have thought of this already), make sure that the concrete does not intrude on your planting area.

Concreting in diagonally opposite legs could possibly help, and give you space for a root ball

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 21:19 »
Just as advice (as you may have thought of this already), make sure that the concrete does not intrude on your planting area.

Concreting in diagonally opposite legs could possibly help, and give you space for a root ball

Yes, good point and something I hadn't considered. We are going to use pieces of soil pipe to encase the concrete and steel legs, and a diagonal placement is definitely worth exploring. Thanks very much.

xx
Galvanized steel rods

Started by Shieldsy on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 09:52
by Larkshall
xx
Garden Arch

Started by FRUITFULL on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 07:58
by FRUITFULL
xx
Something to climb up an arch!

Started by Ed89 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 20:35
by mumofstig
clip
hydrangea black steel flamingo

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2018, 21:52
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 38 queries.