Preparing rusty mower deck for repainting?

• 6 Replies

DanielCoffey

Preparing rusty mower deck for repainting?
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:08 »
I have just taken possession of a Kubota riding mower that had previously been used for two years by a commercial landscaper and it has a few cosmetic issues I would like to resolve to keep the rust at bay and have it looking nicer too.

The main issue is that the mower deck had taken a few decent dings from the underside by stones and it caused the paint on the top surface of the deck to flake off above the ding. It has now developed rust on the exposed metal and the surrounding paint is still flaking.

I need advice on what to do in order to stabilise top surface of the damaged area.

My intuition is to drop the deck off, scrape and wire brush the loose paint and rust, apply something directly to the rust to chemically revert it, some sort of primer then a couple of coats of matching paint on top.

I know we cannot recommend brands here and that is fine but what *types* of products do I need?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Preparing rusty mower deck for repainting?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 18:07 »
I don't have an answer, just to clarify that it's fine to recommend brands if you have no connection with them - it's self-promotion that's not allowed!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cressrt

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 19:11 »
I would use Hammerite or similar type of paint, normally don't need any primer, just rub down and paint; that type of paint self primes and helps with any rust that's there.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:44 »
maybe its worth looking in Halfords they have some rust inhibiters at least that's what I think there called I've used them in the past and then sprayed over the repair with a can of spray and its not a problem the work is in the prep before spraying and with spray it leaves no brush marks  ;)

hope this helps you  :)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 10:06 »
It does look like Rust Converter is what I am looking for. It seems to be the product for large objects that you cannot dunk. The instructions seem to be to remove loose rust and paint, brush on, leave to dry and it goes black then metal primer over the top.

The problem with some of the direct-to-rust paints is that all they do is seal the rust in, leaving it a ticking bomb for future water ingress. Given that a replacement deck for this mower is well over a grand I will be doing it properly this time.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 16:45 »
 you could shop around Daniel to find the best rust converter that would do the job unfortunately I can't remember the product I used but its been on my tractor wings that where badly pitted with rust after I cleaned the metal with a disk blade then applied the rust converter and several coats of orange undercoat then a topcoat of paint

that's been done for several years now and not a hint of rust showing  through the paint the secrets in the prep  ;)

Moggyman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 19:42 »
Hi, I know this is probably too late to be of use to you now but having restored a few cars I would recommend thoroughly wire brushing the rusting areas prior to treatment with a rust converter, Loctite Kurust works well or look on Frost automotives website as they have a variety of very good products.I would use a zinc rich primer followed by hammerite smooth for a decent long lasting finish. dont forget to thoroughly degrease and rub down all surfaces to be painted before and between coats of paint, as stated by others here preparation is everything! I did all the suspension on my morris minor this way and seventeen years on its still barely marked, do it once and do it right!

xx
How to make my lawnmower deck last longer?

Started by sion01 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 19:28
by Gwiz
xx
Mountfield Monarch M1 Grass deck belts?

Started by nadeller on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 18:46
by nadeller
clip
Mechanical law mower

Started by Anton on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 18:25
by Anton
xx
NEW LAWN MOWER

Started by goose on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 23:14
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.