No dig gardening

• 23 Replies

doubledug

• Experienced Member
Re: No dig gardening
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 17:11 »
Yes the dreaded couch grass, well i do have some in one area i thought i would dig that part by hand as i have heard stories of people rotovating over couch grass and all those minced roots turning into new growth :ohmy:.As i have said i am very fortunate to be on a site which was a victorian kitchen garden. Complete with south facing wall a gentle slope for drainage and apparently Drainage pipes to stop waterloging. The original cast iron water supply pipes were just replaced this winter, i wonder how long the plastic will last?. All you keep fit fanatics could keep a portion of your plot for diging over for potatoes, although that does not allow for rotation of crops, oh well nothing ventured nothing gained as they say

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 18:13 »
I'm kind of trying this myself.  I've separated my plot into lots beds with permanent paths and I tried chucking manure over one or two beds over the winter and when I went to dig I couldn't believe the amount worms in there.

I have heavy clay soil, so I'm seeing how it goes this year.  I think it will be more convenient for me anyway.
Teen

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 19:17 »
But I like digging!  Its theraputic, its the reason I wanted a plot!!  well, that and growing lots of vegetable babies to a good harvest.  My soil is in no condition to be left undug and the theory of not digging not compacting is not true on my very heavy and poorly drained soil, it certainly doesn't turn easily as witnessed by the second dig I did to a small bed yesterday (first dig about 2 months ago).  but maybe after years of careful nurturing and improving I could try it (not digging), would be better for my back even though I really do enjoy digging.  Its going to save me from the doldrums once foster bubs moves on, sniff.

I'm the same I actually enjoy the digging but my children are starting to get demanding and so I'm spending less time at weekends at the plot and really only going in the week.

I've decided to try this no digging approach and as i can get an endless supply of organic cow manure thought I might do some of what Tenn76 is doing. I guess only time will tell if it works for me.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

cAnAry53

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 09:22 »
Im trying this out this year,first though im double digging areas to make deep beds which raises the level of the bed and then i will not tred on it at all.Read about it in an excellent book The New Self Sufficient Gardener by John Seymour well worth getting hold of and a really good winter read

RichardA

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 12:46 »
Crowndale - I'm with you. I like digging. I have open plots and raised beds. Raised beds seem like a hobby but the open plots are where the action is. I cannot see any real diference in yields either although the high maintenance activities such as weeding among the onions or dealing with sweet peas is better done a small bed at a time rather than facing a  long row. Howeevr the kitchen managers vote always goes to the raised beds with their paths as she does not have to walk so far or change her slippers for shoes or bend as far so the salads tend to be in beds and big stuff in the open plots.
R

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 16:47 »
I have heavy clay & garden in raised beds with weed fabric paths too. All my lottie neighbours are digging like mad at the moment & the wind is drying the soil into nasty solid clumps & I'm feeling very smug. I layered manure on top of those beds that needed it during the winter & the others will only require the clods that have been broken down by frost , to be lightly raked before sowing. Fab. Oh and I'm the only one on my lotties that can pick sprouts etc over winter without getting my feet muddy. Having tried both open plots & beds, beds are the only way to go for me.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 16:51 »
We must be on the same clay soil greengirl.  Raised beds were the answer to my problems and they most certainly are not a hobby.
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 18:52 »
Hey RichardA, I think you have opened a can of worms here ... raised beds a hooby , indeed  :mad:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

CARROTTCRUNCHER

• THE START OF SOMETING GOOD...
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 19:09 »
Hi all ,all our two plots are raised beds yes this is our first year and we have heavy clay and chalk thats why we done the whole lot , i put good top soil with good rotted cow muck in one half last july. The other half has had bags  of multi purpose compost worked in the the natural soil  and that was in december , its all prerared and ready to go now, and i must say its been hard work but if you have the resorces to do raised beds on poor ground its the right way to go . To be honest it amazing how many other plotholders following suit . mind you it does look good and i find very easy to work on them now its all done and weeding is a doddle . :) CC.

xx
New to Gardening

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 16:34
by greenockian
xx
gardening

Started by ditchdigger on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 10:44
by gobs
xx
My First Day Of Gardening

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 19:56
by Tykelad
xx
No dig gardening

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2018, 09:59
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 38 queries.