wooden pallets

• 215 Replies

Carollan

• Experienced Member
Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2011, 22:14 »
I managed to find a shop in town that lets me have pallets.Hubby has cleverly made a bench for us at the allotment out of them and we used some for outside staging at home to put tomato plant buckets on.I have the bush variety and they trail on the ground,we have a lot of slugs and snails round here,and you can`t get me to eat a  tomato thats had a shiny trail on it ,for any amount of money,even if it looks like it`s been washed off!  :tongue2:

The aforesaid slimies seem to prefer a shorter journey to the french marigolds nearby.  :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 22:15 by Carollan »

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2011, 22:16 »
Don`t worry about the slime. It`s full of vitamins and minerals and...and...slime. On second thoughts avoid it. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 22:22 by Old Tom »
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

snowdrops

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2011, 22:21 »
Carrolan,where's your allotment in Hinckley? I'm in Burbage
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2011, 00:36 »
hi Snowdrops,my allotment is in Stoke Golding.We do have a couple of allotmenteers from Hinckley ,so I guess there must be a shortage ? I bet your allotments are 5star in Burbage aren`t they?  :)

and Tom,I really do have a slug/snail dislike verging on phobia....I can deal with any other animal/creature/insect,even wasps which I am regularly stung by and hate with a vengeance.Ah well,maybe i`ll grow out of it eh?? :wacko:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 00:39 by Carollan »

snowdrops

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2011, 21:24 »
Hi others may be but definitely not mine.The weeds keep sneaking up on me & of course work & family have a habit of getting in the way. Do you enter Stoke Golding's Show?Burbage's is on 13th August.We also have a garden club that meets on the 1st tues of the month at Burbage Conservative club @ 7:30

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2011, 21:30 »
An old work mate of mine manufactures a pallet wrecking bar, amongst other things!
See:
ipQLy-0Pfag

One of our members made one like that some years ago, but I can't remember now who it was.  good idea!

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2011, 23:37 »
Snowdrops,I`m afraid I have 4 dogs as well as the allotment,so any free time I have is spent walking /feeding/grooming etc,no time for the yearly show I`m afraid! You are making me feel guilty,I`ll have to see if I can at least spare the time to walk round the show and see what everyone else is up to!

savbo

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2011, 14:52 »
does anyone have an idea how much you can get for pallets at timber recyclers?

kenny199

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2011, 17:14 »
Most companies are only glad for people to take pallets away as some have to pat to have none returnable one taken away.Ask nicely around your local industrial estate and I am sure you will be told to take as many as you like.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2011, 19:12 »
Most companies are only glad for people to take pallets away as some have to pat to have none returnable one taken away.Ask nicely around your local industrial estate and I am sure you will be told to take as many as you like.

It sounded to me as if savbo wondered if the recyclers would pay him for pallets he takes to them, rather than him wanting to take some away  :unsure:

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2011, 20:07 »
You'd be amazed how much people pay for a pallet with four wheels screwed to the bottom.. ..(link).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2011, 20:12 »
that looks quite good, considering what it is  :lol:

Lloyd

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2011, 20:57 »
Crazy though. Realistically, who would buy one, and why?....What would be the application, where would you use it?

I used to work for a national garden chain, who had skips for pallets and a weekly emptying would cost £30. I started using my trailer to take away a dozen at a time, then chainsawed them for firewood, and ever since have done this, heating the house for free ever since, all through the winter months. The woodburner guzzles pine, softwood has a poor ratio of volume to heat, so big volume for average heat, compared to hardwood, but free is free.   :)
"Fine words butter no parsnips". John Major.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2011, 22:24 »
You'd be amazed how much people pay for a pallet with four wheels screwed to the bottom.. ..(link).

Checking wheel prices on our local market this week! ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2011, 22:28 »
Crazy though. Realistically, who would buy one, and why?....What would be the application, where would you use it?

I used to work for a national garden chain, who had skips for pallets and a weekly emptying would cost £30. I started using my trailer to take away a dozen at a time, then chainsawed them for firewood, and ever since have done this, heating the house for free ever since, all through the winter months. The woodburner guzzles pine, softwood has a poor ratio of volume to heat, so big volume for average heat, compared to hardwood, but free is free.   :)

I have a recollection of reading that softwood creates more flammable gunk deposits in your chimney / flue, and therefore greater care needs to be taken that you don't have a chimney fire.

Might be worth double checking this out as you do burn a lot of softwood.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Wooden Pallets

Started by Chris Toker on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:59
by Code Numpty
xx
pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 12:42
by doctorangler
xx
more pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 18:42
by arugula
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 41 queries.