Chicken laying two eggs

• 2 Replies

Allyc

Chicken laying two eggs
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:34 »
Hi everyone. One of my chickens has started to lay two eggs every six or seven days. One has a rough shell and one has a shiney extremely thin shell. I am still getting one egg from her on all the other days. Does anyone know why this is happening please?

ferretkeeper

Re: Chicken laying two eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:27 »
Hi Ally

I didn't think that was physiologically possible from what I know about how eggs are formed inside hens, although presumably having two ovaries, two eggs could be started off, I think that's how you get a double yolker (and also how women can have non-identical twins!) But maybe there wouldn't be enough time/material to make two good shells around them, perhaps explaining the two types of shell you find, I'm just guessing...I would let one of the more experienced keepers answer that!

You've got a good layer there though, wish mine were as proactive!

Good luck, Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicken laying two eggs
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 14:50 »
Allyc, we have a Bovan Goldline which does the same.  We have found that she lays normal eggs and occasionally double yolkers.  Other times she lays 2 soft shelled eggs within one day and have come to the conclusion that with her it is a mis-timed double yolker.  She is unable to form two normal shells within 24 hours so we get 2 soft shelled eggs.  We sometimes manage to collect the egg before it is damaged or eaten but mostly they are eaten by the hens.

Hi Ally

I didn't think that was physiologically possible from what I know about how eggs are formed inside hens, although presumably having two ovaries, two eggs could be started off, I think that's how you get a double yolker (and also how women can have non-identical twins!) But maybe there wouldn't be enough time/material to make two good shells around them, perhaps explaining the two types of shell you find, I'm just guessing...I would let one of the more experienced keepers answer that!

You've got a good layer there though, wish mine were as proactive!

Good luck, Helen

Not sure if this is right, from what I have read although hens have 2 ovaries only one functions throughout their life.  I may be wrong on this so someone with more experience will put me right.    :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Chicken laying eggs with no shell

Started by Greeny31 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 22:00
by joyfull
xx
Chicken laying soft shell eggs

Started by ChickenBox on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2011, 17:19
by funkychook
xx
Laying less eggs

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 13:00
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Hen laying 2 eggs

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 12:56
by redjane11

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.