New Septic Tank Regs

• 18 Replies

8doubles

Re: New Septic Tank Regs
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 14:20 »
Just a larger view on this issue. I don't consider animal or treated human waste going into watercourses as pollution because they're organically based and therefore naturally break down in the soil over time which is beneficial to many plants and other organisms. Some fish and crustaceans actually thrive on it. There are far more inorganic pollutants getting into watercourses by whatever means which cause far more harm.

As a keen angler i can assure you that animal waste including the human animal is a serious pollutant even after treatment !
In my home town the River Wey was healthy and natural above the water treatment plant but this changed below the outfall . Green waterplants flourished upstream as did insects and fish while downstream the riverbed was lifeless apart from a carpet of slimy brown algae.
Untreated animal waste is much more dangerous deoxygenating water and killing all aquatic creatures.
Well diluted  waste water may be ok but todays need for water abstraction means there is often much more effluent than clean water in a stream or river.

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 14:39 »
Ah, I take your point. To me it seems a difficult balance between what happened in the past and today's way of managing pollution. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 15:06 »
Our septic tank discharges clear odourless liquid into a drainage ditch about 500 yards away. The ditch does not flow into any natural stream and in fact it almost dries up completely in summer. In Spring it teems with tadpoles and other wildlife

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 12:21 »
Your ditch sounds just like the one we use which also nearly dries up in summer except it drains into the sea as do most of the other tidal dykes here because we live amongst a farming community. They also have a lot of tall reeds which help to filter and purify the water, and they possibly assist in reducing the nitrogen levels to prevent unwanted algae etc.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 42 queries.