Poorly hens

• 6 Replies

jillyr1

Poorly hens
« on: May 05, 2011, 19:00 »
I have two chickens that are behaving oddly. The first is a Rhode island red named Hennie and she has been moping about for a few days now with her eyes shut for most of the time, she has also lost weight. The second is a Lavender Araucana called Libby and she is now doing the same. They live free range with 3 other hens and 2 ducks and I feed them layers pellets, mixed corn and kitchen scraps. I noticed that Hennie has got a runny nose today. I've had the girls for approx 6 weeks and I got them from a breeder. Can anyone tell me what's wrong please and what I should do?

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Re: Poorly hens
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 20:49 »
Separate the poorly hens from the others. If they have a respiratory infection they may pass it on. Your vet can advise and prescribe Baytril (or similar) if they have an infection. It is very successful if you catch it early.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 22:29 »
Hello jillyr1 and welcome to the forum.

I agree that it sounds like a respiratory infection (due to the runny nose) but everything else just sounds like a very sick chicken.  It can be very difficult to diagnose as the symptoms you describe are likely to be common to any chicken that is sick for a variety of reasons.

By the time a chicken is moping, losing weight and standing hunched with her eyes closed, she is likely to be quite sick.  She really needs to see a vet.

Good luck with Hennie and Libby.  I hope they make a full recovery.

jillyr1

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54 »
Separate the poorly hens from the others. If they have a respiratory infection they may pass it on. Your vet can advise and prescribe Baytril (or similar) if they have an infection. It is very successful if you catch it early.
I've just been told by one person that it sounds like Mareks disease but another person has said the symptoms aren't the same. It's all very confusing but I will take them to a vet if I can find one that treats chickens.
Thanks for your help.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:56 »
It sounds more like a respiraotyr infection tham mareks.  Mareks is a herpes virus, and causes paralysis, usually on one side, and it usually first diagnosed if a hen starts dragging one wing (there is also an ocular form, in which the cornea becomes clouded, but that is quite rare).

If you can take of of your sick birds to the vet, and ask for enough medication to treat ALL of your birds.

Also, for the moment, stop all corn and scraps.  Feed only layers pellets, as they have the correct balance of nutrients to help your birds get over their infection :)

jillyr1

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31 »
All birds are on anti-biotics now. Fingers and toes crossed all will be fine!
Thanks to all who replied, it's a great feeling knowing you're not alone. x

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:31 »
Good Luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
poorly hens

Started by Elida on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 13:19
by mrs.ploppy
xx
Poorly hens?

Started by cudders on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 21:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Oh NO! Poorly hens

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 22:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
POORLY HENS

Started by db20xmax on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 19:48
by mick.c

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 35 queries.