Early morning bird antics, happen to you?

• 10 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Early morning bird antics, happen to you?
« on: June 13, 2023, 12:50 »
Round about this time of the year I'm awakened at first light by the sounds of birds colliding with the house windows. Despite leaving a profile mark of the body/wings shape on the windows, it seems to cause them no harm. Anyone else experience this?

wighty

Re: Early morning bird antics, happen to you?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 17:12 »
We came down one morning to find an eagle's image spread across  our  back window.  After we'd c  It's aalmed down decided it was an owl.  ::)  It's a big window 12' x 8' so  I suppose you could 'miss' it if you weren't looking properly .  As there's a large conifer in next door's garden  we do get a lot of small birds in it.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 19:12 »
A less pleasant bird antic occurred just half an hour ago. Alerted by a lot of squawking I opened the back door to catch two jackdaws trying to kill a young woodpigeon. Happily the jackdaws took flight and the woodpigeon survived for now

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 06:20 »
We occasionally get the imprint of a bird on our patio doors, usually a collared dove ( what gets referred to as a pigeon usually).
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 06:56 »
We live in a flat roofed bungalow and get gulls tap dancing from 4.30 onwards.

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 13:23 »
Here at Hamstergbert Castle we are no strangers to the ghostly outlines of bird-crashes marking up the window.  Occasional little birds that seem to bounce off without damaging themselves or leaving an impact image, but far too often the ruddy wood pigeons come smacking against the glass.

When they are brightly lit in the sunny garden, the windows with a comparatively dark room behind act as a reasonably efficient mirror and I think the wood pigeons (who if we are being honest are not the sharpest knives in the feathered drawer)  think their reflection is another wood pigeon trying to muscle in.  They therefore fly at the ‘other’ wood pigeon in their version of chicken (ignoring the avian cultural appropriation of course) expecting/hoping that the ‘rival’ will swerve first, and either way working a flight plan involving a really close ‘airprox’ brush by.  When brought to an abrupt halt by the window, the dust and other rubbish in the feathers keeps going to paint the image on the glass.

I swear you can sometimes make out a look of surprise on the ghost birds image.

I’ve suggested to the wood pigeons around here that instead of getting aggressive when they ‘think’ they are being challenged by another bird, they ought to chill out by taking advantage of HGB’s ‘wood pigeon spa day’.  What could be nicer than relaxing in a gentle warm bath of red wine, fragrant with a few shallots, mushrooms and peppers for an hour….   At 185 (fan) of course…
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 14:48 »
Don't mention Wood Pigeons.   I am inundated with them.   I have just hd a soft spot for one nesting in a tree very close to the house with a path under it.   She and I have been talking regularly.   I have watched her feeding the two babies.  But she has gone today.  No babes in evidence so I guess they must have fledged and will make more w/p's next year.
I am profoundly deaf and can hear the birds by day with my hearers, but of course when I am in bed I hear nothing.  But I do get pleasure watching them especially the many sparrows here.  :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 16:58 »
I'm on the top of the cliff overlooking Sandown Bay.  If I stand on top of m y wardrobe I can see the sea! (The wardrobes are all built in so technically................  We mainly get seagulls in the garden and very few smaller birds consequently. We've never had the 'ghost' image of a seagull on our window so perhaps they are members of Mensa or the bird equivalent.  ::)

jezza

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 07:21 »
I use to have black birds and brushes hitting windows in the house even though there was window markers(butterflies ) stuck all over them, now I'm in the bungalow I have 4 baby gold finches come and sit on the window sill whilst mum feeds them from a big thistle growing up the side of the window,one of them now taps on the window to let me know that they are there    jezza

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 08:23 »
now I'm in the bungalow I have 4 baby gold finches come and sit on the window sill whilst mum feeds them from a big thistle growing up the side of the window,one of them now taps on the window to let me know that they are there    jezza

I have some that come to a nigella seed feeder I have in the back garden.  If the whole gang come, they patiently sit and wait their turn as there are only 2 seats at the nigella seed cafe  :)

The sparrows sometimes hit our windows as they are always fighting and flying around like little mad things.  I was putting food out this morning and 1 hit a large shrub next to me.  It obviously thought it could fly in, but the shrub was denser than it thought.  They was a definite thump and a few leaves and feathers fluttered out of the area it hit.  The sparrow was fine and out shouting at me to get out of the way within seconds  :lol:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 11:57 »
We had a Chiffchaff fatally strike the window this morning, sadly. It did mean I got a good look at it and was able to identify it properly because Chiffchaffs have dark legs whereas Willow Warblers have light legs. I took it off to one side away from the door and it was gone in about half an hour, repurposed as extra material for a new Jackdaw.

Not half an hour later there was a bang from the porch and a juvenile Blackbird was squatting on the doormat looking confused. Five minutes of resting undisturbed and she left safely... apart from whatever she ate for dinner last night of course. They always do that as they rocover!

xx
Early Morning Club

Started by Ma Lowe on Chatting on the Plot

2706 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 20:35
by Paul Plots
xx
Are we going to let this happen?

Started by sunnywillow on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 08:30
by weejen
xx
What is this bird ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 08:45
by 8doubles
clip
Bees in the bird box...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 05:15
by Growster...

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 46 queries.