Dwarf beans (more like Bonsai)

• 13 Replies

Sally A

« on: July 22, 2007, 18:54 »
I've grown Ferrari this year; DWARF!! even Happy, Doc, Bashful et al would call these short ar*e.  They are about 10 inches high, I was expecting something around 2 foot tall.  Even the slugs don't have to make an effort to nibble them.

Is it just the rubbish weather, or are these especially short.  I would like something around 2 - 3 foot high so minimal support needed, any suggestions on strain I could use next year?

PS. Cannot fault Ferrari for the taste or the stringlessness.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 20:48 »
12" is the normal height

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 20:56 »
Mine have hit around 9-10" and I had the first harvest today, and jolly nice they were too.  But next year i shall go for more traditionally taller french beans as it didn't do my back any good picking the little so and so's!  I was led to believe too that they would produce similar amounts of beans to traditional sized ones but no way close to the quantity even if matched in size and taste.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sally A

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 21:10 »
You're right there Crowndale, just re-read the packet, no mention of height, but is does state that No Support is Needed.  Not surprised, mine were being held up by the beans which were growing longer than the plant!

Might try climbers next year; Cobra and Blue Lake look promising.

Sally A

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 19:01 »
Just a quick update - planted more in July and put them in the garden, they have grown taller than the earlier batch but not very fruitful.

As I've become a bit peed off with Ferrari and the slugs that seemed to be getting more benefit than me, thought I'd stick 4 beans per flower bucket and give them a spot in the greenhouse. these haven't stopped growing. they're now 2 foot tall and coming into flower.

I know it's been a funny year but I may even try some seeds now and keep them in an unheated greenhouse to see if I can extend the season.

Picking me own in November - well there's something to gloat about - if it happens :)

brucesgirl

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:03 »
My dwarf french beans have been rubbish for the last two years. Next year I am going to plant climbing ones as now I have the allotment I will have more room.
So the rest of the seeds I still have are going to be planted as a green manure.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09 »
Try these - I had an excellent crop. The plant bears it's pods ABOVE the foliage, therefore away from the slugs. You can also see what you're picking!

Purple Teepee
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:50 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Try these - I had an excellent crop. The plant bears it's pods ABOVE the foliage, therefore away from the slugs. You can also see what you're picking!

Purple Teepee

I agree, see http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=31050#31050  Sadly they didn't do well this year - too darned cold.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:32 »
Sally A

I grew Cobra this year, the only thing I would say is to grow 2 plants per pole. I only planted 1 each up 8 foot canes and they have only reached just over half way. Might have been the weather.
Paul

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 12:34 »
give them a quick feed of diluted sulphate of ammonia with some potash in . i do this and i get them racing away at the last of the season  and the extra treat of more fresh beans is great  :wink:
still alive /............

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 12:39 »
Quote from: "Stevens706"
Sally A

I grew Cobra this year, the only thing I would say is to grow 2 plants per pole. I only planted 1 each up 8 foot canes and they have only reached just over half way. Might have been the weather.

Climbing french bean wise, I grew seed I had saved from last year, which was Mr. Fothergills, 'Violet Podded Stringless', another very good crop. Grew past the top of the 8' canes.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 12:40 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Sadly they didn't do well this year - too darned cold.

Migrate south. :lol:

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 21:05 »
My dwarf beans (Valdor or whatever. yellow wax beans) are a similar 10ish inches high but they're very heavy cropping for such cuties so no complaints from me. I know another plot had huge ones that were obviously planted well before mine because they are more like 18-24inches high but look like they're dying back now while mine are just getting started.
My purple french beans which are the cosette violette or something like that, don't produce many beans or flowers it seems. They're very pretty plants with purple stems and purple tinted leaves and purple flowers.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 08:33 »
I "grew" Kings Tendergreen dwarf beans and had nothing to contemplate picking. bad, bad year. :(

xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Now a Q about dwarf beans

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 09:14
by pops
xx
Dwarf beans

Started by baldyman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 00:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 36 queries.