cane pokes in ya eye , not here

• 17 Replies

muntjac

« on: February 23, 2007, 23:42 »
ok heres a couple  qwikys ...... if you use garden canes  it can be blooming dangerous if they get ya eyes in their sights  so here's a tip for stopping that , if you shoot or have a mate as does ask for the used cartridges and pop them over the tops ,if not and ya got mates who drink  :roll: hell who hasnt got a mate that drinks .well ask them if they buy cans of bitter that have the little balls in to save the tins for ya . cut them open carfully and remove the " agitators " they have a moulding hole in them that fits canes nicly if the cane is  thick one just pare it down a bit to fit .make sure the cane end is flat tho folks . paint em bright red or a flashy colour and ur set .just store em up after ya use em in a carrier bag hanging in the greenhouse . oh and talking of greenhouses . those blooming pencils for writing the names on labels always get lost ..... ok well  mine blooming do ,,,solution silicone a 4 inch pot to the glass in the entrance to the greenhouse just behind the door jam . store ya labels in there along with ya pencils  :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 00:39 »
And if you're a wine drinker, save the corks and shove them onto the ends. If you've got wine bottles with only screw tops, then you're missing out on some good stuff.  :wink:

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:24 »
And if you drink those yogurt type drinks like Actimel pop there empty bottles over the top of a cane, they are also good for making a net cage as well. :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:46 »
i have to disagree with the  cork verses screw cap post , you can get some really dandy wines with screw caps .even if they havent got the age factor in which corked wines usually have,  even if in some cases it only a year or 2 .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 14:47 »
I've heard that all wines will gradually go over to screw caps, which are better than synthetic corks.  Real cork is getting in to short supply.

Just found a bit pn the inet:

One thing that is starting to change is the wine industry's attitude towards cork stopper vs. screw cap. For the first time in history more people in a recent Gallop poll said that they preferred wine to beer as their drink of choice. As a result of the increased production by wineries, there is a greater chance that we could come down with a bottle of "corked" wine. The term "corked" means that mold has affected the cork, leaving the wine with a musty taste and smell. This can affect almost one in every twenty bottles of wine. Some of the major wine labels have responded by using synthetic corks, which really don't make sense because they are difficult to remove and almost impossible to reseal.

The screw cap, or Stelvin cap, is a more logical choice. They form a better seal and are very easy to screw back on. Consumer reaction to the screw caps has been good and growing all the time. Nothing is worse than showing off a very expensive bottle of wine, and then realizing after you open it that it's gone bad. A recent survey showed that about 60 percent of all American homes don't even have a corkscrew. Some of the wineries have been slow to change and the cork companies are working on making the natural cork more reliable using more sophisticated testing. Until then, it's down to a battle between the screw-cappers and the traditionalists, and it's up to the consumer to decide.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 14:56 »
I prefer these dinky little individual portions of wine ... 3 litre bag in box.  If you are careful, you can make them last a second evening.

Seriously though, I like the boxes of wine because it keeps the air away from whatever is left.  Not a huge selection, granted, but as long as it says Shiraz somewhere on the box then I'm happy.

fluffypebble

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 17:37 »
And you can reuse the bag inside the box as a water carrier should you need one, which is unlikely unless you are camping but you never know.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 18:23 »
As far as wine corks go, enjoy them while they last, even get friends to save them. Less obvious than a bottle flopping about.  And an opened bottle of wine should be used within 2 weeks, not left to turn into vinegar. We don't get wine in bags here so I can't comment on them.  :wink:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 18:35 »
For canes try and pick up these bags of kids play balls light plastyic about the size of a tennis ball dead cheap maybe a quid / 00 on a car boot or free if any are on freecycle. Get a sharp knilr and cut a cross then just put over  the end of the cane
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

ziggywigs

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 18:46 »
Typical too i've just bought a new corkscrew! tut.   I use old practice golf balls they're light and plastic with holes in 'em on the top of my canes but like the Actimel idea.

Quote from: "whisky_golf"

Seriously though, I like the boxes of wine because it keeps the air away from whatever is left.  Not a huge selection, granted, but as long as it says Shiraz somewhere on the box then I'm happy.

I like the boxes too.....handier to carry on New Year's eve and they also sit very nicely on the steps in the garden which doubles as the bar in the Summer!

fluffypebble

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 19:27 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
As far as wine corks go, enjoy them while they last, even get friends to save them. Less obvious than a bottle flopping about.  And an opened bottle of wine should be used within 2 weeks, not left to turn into vinegar. We don't get wine in bags here so I can't comment on them.  :wink:

How do you get a bottle of wine to last 2 weeks? If I am really careful I can get 2 days out of 1 but I aren't usually careful, hic

Ann

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 19:37 »
Wine doesn't get chance to turn into vinegar here, timescale for a bottle of wine is same as fluffypebble 2 days if careful

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 20:43 »
My point exactly, Ann and Fluffy. If you get 'corking' , that fungal problem, then either it's a bad winery problem or it's been left too long after opening. I'm not a regular wine drinker so a bottle will last over a week for me.  :wink:

Annie

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 21:37 »
I`m still trying to work out how abottle could last 2 weeks unless it was not the first bottle of the evening,not finished and noone could remember if or where it was :lol:  :shock: surley not!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 21:39 »
Two weeks?  More like two hours here in O'Brien Towers.   :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Cane toppers....

Started by Geordie on Frugal Living

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 11:54
by mobilekat
xx
Cheap cane connectors...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 20:49
by Annen

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.