Nuggets not herself

• 26 Replies

dizzylizzie

Re: Nuggets not herself
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 21:10 »
It sounds like you've got yourself a nice broody hen  :D

thankyou- all my girls are lovely :D

the fact that she keeps going back to the coop, and she has lost feathers off her tummy sounds like she is going broody. Have you decided what you are going to let her do? do you have access to any fertile eggs? :)

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 21:27 »
haven't got a cockerel so she won't be hatching anything ! how long will it last ? she's my gardening buddy I miss her helping me do the borders !  :(

dizzylizzie

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 22:07 »
Ok, you need to turf her out the nest box. As soon as the others have finished laying you need to close the coop up to stop her going in. others recommend dipping her bottom in cold water, not something i would try, it dosent sound too humane to me, but i am a softie ;) she possibly wont lay any eggs for maybe 6 weeks though so dont worry if you dont get any.Letting her sit will only encourage her broodiness and i dont think its fair to let her sit without having any chicks at the end of it so be firm anf keep turfing her out :)

gem

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 23:09 »
Sorry to hijack but i have the same problem with one of my two chickens (Tilly and Milly) I think the broody one is now keeping the other one from laying as she wont let her in the nesting box keeps puffing up and squaking at her so she wont come in, today i had no eggs (usually 2 a day).  Is it best i keep them both out nesting box while it wears off as i only have the one coop and run so cany just keep one out and not the other?

P.S thanks for all the info on this post as I was worried that something may have been wrong with Tilly bit from reading this seems she is just broody  :wacko:

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 23:25 »
Awwww.....buy her some eggs!! It's a lovely experience!! Especially if she is your buddy!! I couldn't be mean to my usually docile Gladys - even when she was broody and attacking me......I bought her a prezzie of eggs and it was such an amazing experience!!  :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12 »
Yes it is an amazing experience but they could all hatch as cockerels so you either have to try and rehome them (most people don't want or are not allowed cockerels) or cull them and pop them in the freezer. Could you do that? You only have to look at the swap pages to see how difficult it can be to rehome them  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33 »
Forgot that bit!!!  :(

Fortunately, mine were all rehomed quite easily through the adtrader. My last remaining cock that I really wanted to keep was rehomed by my neighbour - who had been eyeing him up for some time!! There is on happy big boy, now breeding on the allotments!!  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 08:16 »
Sorry to hijack but i have the same problem with one of my two chickens (Tilly and Milly) I think the broody one is now keeping the other one from laying as she wont let her in the nesting box keeps puffing up and squaking at her so she wont come in, today i had no eggs (usually 2 a day).  Is it best i keep them both out nesting box while it wears off as i only have the one coop and run so cany just keep one out and not the other?

P.S thanks for all the info on this post as I was worried that something may have been wrong with Tilly bit from reading this seems she is just broody  :wacko:

Gem , check around....she will be laying somewhere else if she cant get in the nest box

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 09:45 »
just thought I'd let u all know Nugget is back to her normal self think all the baths changed her mind about being broody bless ! all running round the garden digging up all my plants normal business resumes  :D

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49 »
Glad to hear it  :D

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58 »
Excellent!!  :D :D

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 20:42 »
just to let u know, found a really large egg from nugget yesterday, she's definately back to normal thanks for help and good wishes  :D

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 40 queries.