Potatoes

• 20 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 09:24 »
How many chits do you leave? I normally reduce to 3 but I know people who leave them all on.

Last time I researched that question, the answer seemed to be; more chits = more but smaller potatoes, fewer chits = fewer but larger potatoes.

Faced with that sort of conundrum I don't need to think twice before doing nothing (i.e. leave the chits alone and let the spud decide what to do!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 09:55 »
Yep, sling them in as is!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Longshanks

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 13:38 »
I'm no means an expert as have only been growing potatoes for a couple of years. I never bothered chitting them and both of the last couple of years I have had a decent crop, even through last summer, when watering was sparse.

Mr Dog

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 17:34 »
I'm no means an expert as have only been growing potatoes for a couple of years. I never bothered chitting them and both of the last couple of years I have had a decent crop, even through last summer, when watering was sparse.

As with every question, ask 2 gardeners and you'll get at least 3 answers..... If you read around there's plenty of discussion as to whether chitting is worth it or not. Personally I do (usually anyway) but I've grown spuds successfully without.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 20:08 »
I too store mine in the loft and have done for the last 2 years; and been lucky enough to have a good harvest each year  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Jeebus

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 08:09 »
Sounds as though it's almost time to start chitting them anyway. I'll put them in the loft for a week or two which will give me time to save a few egg boxes.

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
which potatoes?

Started by poppie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 08:45
by peapod

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 43 queries.