veg high in protein

• 22 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Re: veg high in protein
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 11:24 »
As for protein per square metre in a plot, I am sure that runner beans must take some beating even if the % protein is not very high, you must be able to get a lot of (protein rich) ripe beans from a single teepee of plants, far more than in a short row of soya.

Charlie

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00 »
It's an interesting discussion!

I think the yield from runner beans grown for their mature beans would be quite low compared to picking at the usual "edible pod" stage as flowering tends to shut down if pods are allowed to develop fully.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 18:00 »
Does anyone grow soy beans in the UK i might try and get hold of some and try some.

I had a go at growing soya last year to pick green as edemame (sp?) Not a great success; it said on the packet to keep covered till they germinate, but most rotted off. The survivors did OK, but I picked them too late and they had gone a bit hard; the pods are smaller than the ones in restaurants.
I saved the seeds and am trying again; put some in modules in a greenhouse 10 days ago and most are up . As they all seemed to ripen at once and I want them green, I an going to try a 2 m row of 12 plants every 2 weeks and see how it goes.
I am also trying chick peas, which you can apparently eat green as well as dried. A lady on the plot gave me a handful of soaked chick peas from the shop and I forgot about them for a few days and they all chitted. I have them all in modules about to go out. I am assuming that they are small bushy plants but have no idea.

Charlie

Although Charlie managed to grow some good old Dr Hessayon reckons they're not reliable in the UK.  :(  You can but try  :)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Salmo

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 18:27 »
It is pretty certain that if there was a good variety that would ripen in the UK it would be grown by farmers on a large scale.

Swing Swang

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 07:36 »
Still Dr Hessayon isn't always right, have you seen some of the cooking times that he reccommends for his veg? He must like them boiled to death.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 07:38 »
I will stick with my powder supplement for now then.
Thanks
Kris

Snoop

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 08:34 »
I pondered on growing pulses for a while but dried chickpeas and beans are so ridiculously cheap here it hardly seems worth while growing them compared with fresh veg.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 08:55 »
I've grown soy - T&M sell a variety that's chosen for good performance in the UK.  They make short bushy little plants and as the beans ripen the plants suck all the energy out of the leaves to form them and the leaves all drop. I picked them green and they were OK, but no sensation and the seeds are not cheap.

My new fave is dwarf borlotti which I also pick green - well pink and white but you know what I mean.  I save seed year on year so my original Franchii packet has paid for itself several times over now  :lol:  Fresh borlotti cook quickly and are lovely in salads, pasta sauces and summer 'half the plot' soups. 

xx
Protein Crops

Started by bendufeu on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 09:33
by sunshineband
xx
extra protein or what

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 10:41
by PennyS
xx
Protein value of Peas vs Mange Tout?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 12:59
by Zippy
xx
HIGH'S AND LOW'S

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 12:24
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 40 queries.