Autumn King tiny

• 26 Replies

hubballi

Re: Autumn King tiny
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 17:22 »
It has been said by someone on the local allotment that nobody can grow carrots in this village. Unknown forces seem to be at work.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 21:36 »
In that case, it sounds like you need a shamen or witchdoctor  :wub:
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 21:50 »
They were Amsterdam. They had great foliage but hardly anything down under, even for the finger variety. Again, it doesn't make sense but as always these kind of weird things happen to me. I can't think of a single thing I have done wrong. Of course I would be the first to admit if I had. The same with rocket. Supposed to be easy but when sowed in new compost in a container the growth cames up small, thin and wispy. I didn't get a single salad harvest from them.

Have you put any manure on your plot?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

allot2learn

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 23:23 »
I've not had much luck with carrots in the past so next year I'm planning on growing them in two old baths in a mixture of MP compost and horticultural sand with a sprinkling of FBB.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 17:04 »
I've not had much luck with carrots in the past so next year I'm planning on growing them in two old baths in a mixture of MP compost and horticultural sand with a sprinkling of FBB.

Good idea, Allot2!

Also cover them with some sort of thick netting like debris net, as baths are only so high...

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 23:38 »
I have 2 half rows of Autumn King still in the ground... they are not the best I've grown but some reasonable roots of 6 to 8 inches - considering the miserable summer - not bad.

Mine will be lifted as needed, when I get there and whenever the ground is ice free. Damage from carrot fly is about the same as usual so mostly only surface.

I sow Autumn King from late spring until mid summer. I find them the most reliable carrot with a lovely orange colour, good flavour and smell.  :)

Single rows between onions, beetroot and lettuce seem to miss the worst of the carrot fly but it depends on the weather too I think as well as when they are sown / thinned / hand weeded.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 23:54 »
That sounds good I would think that a late summer sowing has just not given them long enough time in the ground .  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 00:29 »
That sounds good I would think that a late summer sowing has just not given them long enough time in the ground .  ;)

I'm pretty sure you're right especially as this was a low on sun / low on heat summer.  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 10:06 »
Sowed Autumn King on 24th April under enviromesh and they were mostly a decent size in early August, so I dug half of them and re-sowed the bare area with some more.

I'm still harvesting the remainder of the original sowing - some of them are rather too big (not surprisingly) but the early August sowing are a little on the modest side (to be kind to them!)

Agree that late sowings of anything require everything to be in their favour weather-wise, which of course it wasn't this year, and also suspect that enviromesh must have a slightly detrimental effect on light levels when sunshine is in such short supply, although growing out in the open is not an option for me (once was enough - great maggot harvest, no edible carrots!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mikegee

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 22:43 »
The big problem with root veg this year is that they "drowned" in many areas, the saturated soil settled around the developing roots and starved the feeder hairs of oxygen.

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 00:42 »
Lack of sunshine was also a problem here. Not enough to get the old photosynthesis going for long so smaller, less sweet roots.

allotmentann

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 06:42 »
Hubbali, if all your root crops have grown a lot of leaf but not much root could you have been feeding them a high nitrogen fertilizer?  ;)

xx
Autumn King 2

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 13:04
by Lee G
xx
Carrot Autumn King

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 07:23
by DD.
xx
Autumn King and Carrot fly

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 20:07
by cawdor2001
xx
In Praise of Autumn King 2

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 22:22
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 39 queries.