Pickles with attitude

• 8 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Pickles with attitude
« on: February 03, 2015, 20:23 »
We had chips for tea and OH requested pickles, so pickled shallots were duly provided.  His comment was that they had attitude and were fiery enough to give you a bite back  :ohmy:

OK, so there were chillies in the jar as well as plenty of pickling spice, but what's the point of making homemade pickles out of your home grown produce if the results don't have any personality.  I thought they were fine  :lol:

Beetroot Queen

Re: Pickles with attitude
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 20:29 »
Could be a biting wind over night  :nowink: men and onions ( never a good combination)  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 20:34 »
 :lol:

He's usually OK with pickled onions, but the day I fed him elephant garlic will never be forgotten (or repeated)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 21:06 »
Hehe the older hubby gets the less spice he can tollerate, that makes me happy  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:53 »
I don't like pickled onions and have to say the ones I made last year are a bit strong too, but OH seems to like them. Made some cucumber pickle too which was lovely, but now....wow....too hot for me to handle. They say it's better with age, I disagree. Some of the beetroot was a bit sharp but as we didn't persevere with it it has had time to mellow and is good now.But.................

All the huge jars of pickled veg the neighbour gave us are sweet and crunchy, lovely.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01 »
I find a good handful of peppercorns also very effective!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 16:34 »
I find a good handful of peppercorns also very effective!

Yes, we have chillies, peppercorns, whole coriander seeds and bayleaves in ours, and jolly tasty they are too

Even the cucamelons in the jar were all the better for the extra flavouring  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

barley

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 07:09 »
a spoonful of Demerara sugar can help take the bite out of pickling

my beetroots have been just right this year with a little added sugar

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:56 »
I like strong pickles, but the boss doesn't and although sdhe doesn't normally like pickled beetroot she liked this recipe. Fortunately so did I.

Spiced sweet & sour pickled beetroot 
Cooking time
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 1 hr, 20 mins
Servings
Fills 1 large kilner jar
Ingredients
•   1kg small-medium sized raw beetroot
•   200g caster sugar
•   300ml white wine vinegar
•   2 star anise
•   3 cloves
•   2 allspice berries
•   2 bay leaves
•   2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
•   1 tbsp olive oil
Method
1.   Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Trim the leaves and most of stalks off the beetroot, leaving a stump of stalk on each. Wrap the beetroots individually in pieces of foil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 1 hr 15 ins or until the point of a sharp knife can be easily inserted then leave to cool.
2.   Unwrap, peel and trim the stalks away from the beetroot. Leave the small ones whole and cut larger ones in half and pack them into a large sterilised kilner jar.
3.   Tip the sugar, white wine vinegar, the spices and bay leaves into a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and bubble gently, stirring, for 2 mins until all the sugar has dissolved. Turn off the heat and add the balsamic if using.
4.   Carefully pour the hot vinegar, spices and bay over the beetroot (you might not need it all) and leave to cool uncovered. Once cool pour the olive oil over.

The original recipe had 200 ml water as well which I removed to keep the acidity. I also skipped the olive oil as I was worried about the safe length of storage out of the fridge.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 32 queries.