Sweet Potato Time 2012

• 165 Replies

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Sweet Potato Time 2012
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2012, 19:02 »
I change my water about once every week. When I first started, there was some surface mould forming, but since I have changed the water, things have been ok. I use tepid water, rather than straight from the cold tap.
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2012, 20:39 »
As I was changing the water on mine, I noticed a shoot on one of them - but at the bottom :wub:, so as suspected I had two of mine upside down! I was surprised it had shooted under water though. I have turned them over, they still seem ok, so hopefully I might get something now. :)

Two of mine did that too, I have planted them on and the six that I have done seem well as yet.
Fingers and Toes crossed!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Trillium

« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2012, 16:42 »
Troy, keep the potato and water in a sunny window, and as said, do change the water often to avoid mold problems. Some potatoes are just real slowpokes.

Sue33

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18 »

well, only 1 out of the 3 i tried has rooted, i think i must have had the other two upside down  ::)  but still no sign of the "slips"  lots of roots though....

Trillium

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2012, 13:32 »
Lots of roots is a good sign; the slips/sprouts should start any time. Keep the jar in a sunny window and that should help.

brianthomas

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2012, 21:45 »
thanks trillian , what are your thoughts on making a hot pit/trench full of rubbish.
 Idid this a few years ago with cellery , that will warm the soil and a closh polly tunnel on top ---suckcess? or the dreams of an aging gardener  bt

brianthomas I have got a root on each of my tubers but nothing else this is after six w

eeks they seam very slow hope I get them going before summer ? has gone
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 21:56 by brianthomas »

Trillium

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2012, 02:01 »
Re the trench idea: yes, that should work. Sweet potatoes are quite tropical and the more heat they get, the happier they are.

If you've not got any top sprouts yet, it might be getting a bit late. There are some suppliers of 'slips', aka sprouts that will mail them to you in time for planting.

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 09:18 »
If you've not got any top sprouts yet, it might be getting a bit late. There are some suppliers of 'slips', aka sprouts that will mail them to you in time for planting.

I may have to resort to this as I started off with three potatoes and am down to one as the others went rotten.  >:(. The last one has taken almost three months to start any sprouts but they haven't moved one bit for weeks so looks like I'll be binning that too. Oh well, guess I'll have to resort to getting some slips this year and save some of the potatoes at the end of the season for starting off next year! :-)

Mandy
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

Emmie

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2012, 14:58 »
Started my sweet potato off mid december and sprouts have been developing nicely however I have only now started to notice roots growing from the base. Sprouts are about an inch in size now so Im keeping fingers crossed that they wil be ready to remove shortly.

Trillium

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2012, 15:52 »
You don't actually need the bottom white roots as long as you have the top sprouts.

For those who have sprouts, in a few more weeks it will be time to twist them off and pot them up.

brianthomas

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2012, 22:05 »
hi I now have 4 purple sprouts on 1 tuba loads of roots on the other
the 2nd tuba is tuning the water green with lots of bubles I keep changing the water and cleen the slime off.
 there does not seem to be any eyes on the top but from the water line down plenty of roots ? anybody any ancers b.t

Trillium

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2012, 14:51 »
Not sure why your tuber is greening so much despite changing. Could possibly be your water itself.  Can you try a different water source, perhaps bottled water and see if that helps at all? First rinse off the tuber well and gently finger rub off as much slime as possible before putting into a different container with the water. Keep the tuber near a sunny window and see what happens. The roots indicate there'll be top shoots very soon.

You don't always need the white bottom roots to get top shoots.  When the shoots you have reach about 2" or more, you can carefully twist them off at the base and pot them into dampened compost. Don't bury the shoot, just nudge the base into the compost so it will sit in place, and place in a sunny, draft-free window. The shoots themselves will now start to root and those roots will become the actual sweet potatoes you'll eat later.

brianthomas

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2012, 19:55 »
Hi i have 2 rain butts at the bottom of the garden will use that water and see if makes
 a differance thanks bt

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22 »
Just a very quick question (with a very simple answer I hope)!  When would I plant sweet potato plants in my polytunnel - going straight into the ground, not bags or such.

Many thanks in advance for your replies. :-)

Mandy

xx
The Great sweet potato experiment! 2010

Started by aelf on Growing FAQs and other Information

182 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:16
by mumofstig
xx
sweet potatoes 2011

Started by Trillium on Growing FAQs and other Information

154 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 21:18
by Trillium
xx
sweet potatoes (kumara)

Started by always_mowing on Growing FAQs and other Information

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 16:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 55 queries.