Are you wheat intolerant?

• 39 Replies

Poolfield2

« on: August 13, 2008, 23:20 »
I am and have been trying all sorts of recipes to make decent cake and at last have discovered that I can make better sponge cakes with rice flour than I ever did with wheat. Yipee. The best thing is that all the family are happy to eat them so I don't have to make different cakes for me.

6 oz butter
6 oz caster sugar
3 large eggs
6 oz rice flour
1 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
2 tbs water
1tsp vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs. Fold in flour baking powder water and vanilla. Bake in lined 8" round tin 160C (ish) 45 mins (ish)

Can add heaped Tbs of cocoa instead of vanilla and a little extra water or make into a lemon drizzle with rind and juice of 1 lemon instead of water and top off with juice of 1 lemon and 3oz caster sugar

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 23:23 »
Oh I'm pleased you found the answer Poolfield.  I have no trouble with wheat, but a man I worked for a couple of years ago, his wife was.  Is it Coeliac?  Is that the right word?  He used to buy her the biscuits from Tesco as a little treat!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 23:59 »
Is rice flour easy to get hold of pf?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:35 »
i bought some in a supermarket a while back peapod.  it was a brand not supermarket own.  can't think of the name at the moment.

it's a big brand with a vast range.......

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 13:25 »
Rice flour is easy to get hold of from various supermarkets and I buy mine from a whole food shop. Doves supply it but other smaller companies sell it as well.

I'm going to try to make some biscuits from rice flour over the weekend.

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 14:40 »
i buy Doves rice flour aswell, it seems to be in most supermarkets and health food shops.
Ive eventually managed to find a good gf pastry recipe aswell if anyone wants it, the pastry holds together when you roll it instead of needing to be pressed in to the tin you are using.
Does anyone have a gf rough puff or flaky pastry recipe?

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 14:44 »
Quote from: "mtoyne"
i buy Doves rice flour aswell, it seems to be in most supermarkets and health food shops.

doves!  thats the one!

kezlou

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 17:45 »
Rice flour is sold in massive quantities in all Asian and International food stores.
5KG for £3.00, don't know if this is good deal as i never buy it from supermarkets.
Cornflour, gram flour (ground up chick peas) is quite cheap as well as potato starch.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 15:13 »
That's loads cheaper than health food shops :shock:  Thanks for the tip. Mind you as I'm in the middle of rural Gloucestershire I may have to wait til I travel elsewhere, not many Asian shops near here.

monkeybum

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 16:08 »
Oo if you are doing biscuits can you let us have the recipe please. I still haven't managed to make a decent biscuit. I do use Doves plain flour for Victoria Sponge though and that seems to work fine.
Mtoyne, could you also post the pastry recipe please???? Mine falls apart and I have to press the bits into the dish. Its a right pain in the behind! :x

wighty

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 21:18 »
I'm lactose intolerent which causes quite a few problems with medicines.  Lactose is the sugar found in milk (for those who didn't know).  A lot of the sugar coatings on medicines contain lactose as the binding agent which is where the problem arises.

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 21:34 »
Hiya Poolfield 2 and Monkeybum, ive attempted pm ing you both the gf pastry recipe. If either of you doesnt get it then let me know and i will re send it.
Michelle.

monkeybum

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:51 »
Nope I haven't got it! Wighty, I am lactose intolerant too, many people with cd are. Have you tried Lactofree? Its fantastic, finally a lactose free milk you can drink straight and it tastes like proper milk!

wighty

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 09:17 »
I wouldn't try it as just the action of lifting a milk bottle to my lips is enough to make me ill.  I can't stand even watching someone drink milk and have been known to ..... just by looking.  Paul had an Angel Delight last night and had to eat it in the other room because he knows what I'm like.  It does come in handy though when you get that feeling that you are going to be sick, I just pick up a bottle of milk and hey presto.

Skip

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 12:50 »
Gram flour is made from chick peas, but it is also known as besan or chana flour (among others).
Skip, in Oz

xx
wheat less bread recipes

Started by Gwiz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 17:09
by titch
xx
Whole Wheat Bread for the oven!

Started by Becky H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 10:57
by sloegin
xx
any other sugar/wheat free vegans?

Started by eli on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 11:44
by eli
xx
wheat free apple layer cake

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 09:35
by kezlou

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.