Freezer clear-out...

• 5 Replies

Growster...

Freezer clear-out...
« on: June 13, 2018, 21:14 »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but what length of time does the team think should elapse before one decides that the freezers are just to difficult to open, because of the solid packed left-overs, three-year old squash, odd packets of mince, and some peculiar unidentifiable meat lumps with no name?

A few weeks ago, we decided enough was enough, and are now getting through all sorts of older frozen stuff, and making do quite well, actually!

Everything is always packed tightly in plastic bags, so shouldn't really succumb to 'freezer burn', but after three years, we reckon an old bag of curry really should be chucked out! Both freezers are self-de-frosting.

Last year's tomatoes really should go in August, as we'll be picking from next month (unless we get blight, so they'll stay there for a while and we do use a lot of them), but surely bags of pumpkin, squash and apple are not getting any younger...

Thoughts please...

snowdrops

Re: Freezer clear-out...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 22:16 »
I’ve used fruit from 2 years ago for jams & crumbles, I think the corn on the cobs are from 2016 & that maybe why they’re not too good, there’s a bag of broad beans that are from 2 if not 3 years ago, no good as they are but are ok if double poddedbut are going back to the plot anyday now (will put them in the compost bin),when I remember as the new ones are just a few days from being ready. This is bearing in mind they weren’t blanched
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

madcat

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09 »
Good on you for your courage, mon brave!  We had a grand clear out this time last year - some stuff was embarrassingly old, particularly herb cubes and runner beans.  They ended up on the compost. 

I'm doing better this year, but there is still fruit in there from last year and this year's is starting to colour ...   ::)  But my recent attack on the bags of meat is starting to really make an impression.  It does take determination doesn't it, but there is a positive result for the weekly shopping bill.  :)  The butcher isn't best pleased tho'.....  :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:30 »
I have moved everything from last year (or the year before) to the indoors freezer and made a list. So in the coming weeks I will be in the kitchen making chutney and jam. I also have plenty of chicken and mince to be used.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:03 »
I have moved everything from last year (or the year before) to the indoors freezer and made a list. So in the coming weeks I will be in the kitchen making chutney and jam. I also have plenty of chicken and mince to be used.

We sorted ours and lived on whatever was in the freezer for a couple of weeks to clear space for this year's harvests. Some stuff was from two years back.. runner beans that old... NO!!…. but mostly everything has been edible so far
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:26 »
You do uncover some treats though...

Yesterday, I found a perfect (and expensive) pork fillet which we'd forgotten about, so as veg isn't that plentiful yet, we went to a local farmshop in Sandhurst, (who do fabulous local cherries), and the fresh stuff from there is really good, and also very local!

I think the beef may be next, as a carbonnade perhaps, but the lamb is for sandwiches!

I'm starving now..:0(

xx
freezer jam

Started by chickpeacurry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 16:11
by Mrs Bee
xx
Freezer Trays

Started by beanman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 17:22
by Yorkie
xx
Well that's the sweetcorn in the freezer.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 22:29
by Jackypam
xx
My new freezer's arrived but...

Started by ColinGrigson on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 15:04
by Moosey

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.