Have we been badgered?

• 7 Replies

DanielCoffey

Have we been badgered?
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:15 »
I spotted a fresh shallow excavation in one of our drainage ditches this morning and I wondered what had caused it. There was a scrape of about a cubic foot of earth removed amongst tree roots with the spoil scattered backwards about five feet.

In the hole were some clawed and bitten roots. Some of the marks were deep and suggested something powerful. I then spotted bees going in and out the hole frequently. There were sticky or wet-looking roots with small flies on them but no odour (that I was aware of). I wondered if the "sticky" was sap, honey or just urine.

Initially I was thinking rabbits but once I saw the clawed roots, I began thinking fox or badger. We are in a rural wooded/arable area in South Ayrshire so are well within Scottish badger territory.

There were no visible dead bees or nest fragments however.

Thoughts?
Badger.jpg

Goosegirl

Re: Have we been badgered?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 14:09 »
My first thought was badgers and my OH agrees because foxes would leave a distinctive odour. He says the best way to confirm it is to look for any droppings (called spraint) then have a look at pics on-line.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 19:27 »
Aardvark . :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:18 »
That's a thought as there must have been a lot of aardvark gone into making such a big hole!  :lol:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:46 »
Well I have stuffed it with rocks and covered the area with the spoil since whatever it was did not come back last night.

No signs of any identifiable poo in the area (other than from the rabbits of course. The bees are gone today, presumably to make another nest elsewhere.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 13:45 »
Mmm. Excluding people using metal detectors, a frantic burglar trying to find a place to hide with his swag, a very localised earthquake or an incident of "bog-burst", a WW1 gun cartridge that suddenly went bang or some rather constipated badgers, I can only assume you've got a very big were-rabbit (was it a full moon the night it was made?) so you'd better look after your prize veg!  :lol:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 14:00 »
Sadly no prize veg. Not even any "humorous" veg either. I still think badger given the claw marks on the roots.

If the burglar wanted to hide the swag, I'd offer him the use of the garage at reasonable rates as we have some very well-heeled neighbours! One of them got an iPhone X on the day they were released and it was delivered to me since they were out of the country at the time. I felt like a kid at Christmas trying to guess what was in the package without being allowed to open it.

wighty

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 20:19 »
We have Lake Common in front of us and a golf course behind us, our garden is the M25  for all wildlife between the two.  Boris (as we call him) is quite used to us shining the torch up the garden to watch him.  He loves cheese savouries from Poundland.! We hope by feeding him he doesn't dig the garden up, but this doesn't extend as far as the lawn!

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 46 queries.