New mower covered in oil

• 5 Replies

DanielCoffey

New mower covered in oil
« on: June 19, 2018, 20:52 »
I have just taken delivery of a new mulching mower with a 190cc Honda petrol engine and when I unboxed it, the deck, engine and box were copiously covered with oil. There is definitely some oil in the engine as the dipstick shows a little and it is also possible that the small oil bottle it was shipped with leaked too. I assume it has been shipped on its side.

According to the sales team when they were arranging delivery, the engine was supposed to be shipped dry but I think because this was an exchange under warranty for the first one that was damaged in transit, they may have oiled it up in order to make sure I got a tested one.

Once I have let everything settle and wiped it all down, I will check the dipstick for oil level and possible damage. Is there anything else I need to check to work out where the oil leaked from? Is the air filter likely to be soaked? Will it have escaped from the exhaust side?

If the air filter is soaked in oil, will I have to ask them for a new one?

Growster...

Re: New mower covered in oil
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:30 »
I'd say take loads of pics of the mower and the box and packing, and get on to the supplier straight away, Daniel.

You don't know where the oil came from, or where it's ended up, and that may be in the jets, filters etc, which will make it a probable non-starter anyway.

What a nuisance! I think carriage rules always say 'dry' delivery, as  they're allowing for a fire hazard.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:31 by Growster... »

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:54 »
Taking pics before cleaning is a good idea. Thanks. I'll have a good look at it in daylight today (once it has stopped raining here).

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:22 »
Rain!

We need some down here and no mistake! Just off to buy a sprinkler!

Hope the mower thing goes OK for you!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 18:13 »
It turns out the mower was shipped dry but there was some residual oil in the motor from testing and assembly. Flip a coin and your courier will tip the box on the air filter side and the 100ml of factory oil will piddle out the air filter, soaking it. Like many things, a little goes a long way.

I recorded it all, wiped it all clean and checked the dipstick (dry), petrol tank (dry) and filter (drenched). Then I filled the engine with new oil, fueled it up with the good stuff and tried it. Once the fuel supply settled, it ran OK but was running a bit rich due to the restricted filter.

The manufacturers don't carry filters (cos they don't make the Honda engines) but will be sending me a spare blade (because I wanted one for spares anyway) as an apology. I can go get a couple of correct filters from an online reseller tomorrow. A fair swap, I consider. The filter is the cheap part.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 19:10 »
Result, Daniel!

Probably the best you can get!

Well done!

xx
My plot is getting covered with leaves and seeds!

Started by pepper on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 15:33
by Annie
xx
plastic covered mini greenhouse thingy

Started by katiem on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 13:44
by prakash_mib
question
atco mower HELP!!!!

Started by BeVoLiD on Equipment Shed

26 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 05:31
by Growster...
xx
Which lawn mower?

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2023, 06:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.