Poorly chicken

• 30 Replies

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:44 »
One of our chickens, Josephine, is really not herself this morning. When we went to check on them around 6am, she was the only one still in the hen house. She came out, but then fell over, on her back, with her wings spread out. We have picked her up and looked her over, and the only thing we can see is that she has some lice (we noticed this on one of the others a couple of days ago and gave them all a good sprinkling of louse powder 2 nights ago). She is standing up, but struggling to walk. We have separated her and given her some cat food, which she ate really well, then put her back with the others, where she is just standing. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Jacky.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28 »
I've been watching her for the last hour. I don't think it's her balance, just that her legs seem to be very unsteady. She can walk, but stands still or lies down a lot. Her tail is down which is unusual for her, and she has made a couple of noises like she might be in pain. She is eating and drinking when you put something in front of her.

I can't see anything wrong with her legs, but have read somewhere that a calcium deficiency can cause temporary lameness.

She last laid an egg early yesterday morning, so maybe it's a problem with her trying to lay an unusual egg?

Any ideas anyone? I am really worried about her.

Thanks,
Jacky.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:32 »
Have you checked the coop at night to check that there is no redmite?
They suck blood and will make a hen weak :(

Can you feel an egg inside, have a very gentle feel underneath her :)

Sarah :)

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:58 »
Hi Sarah,

I can't feel anything that feels like an egg. She doesn't actually lay every day, so this might be normal. She is very light though.

I haven't seen any sign of red mite, but haven't looked at night. Is there any sign I should look for now to see if that's what it is?

She is the smallest of the chickens, so if this is the case, she could have been affected more than the others.

Thanks,
Jacky.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:24 »
There is some info on red mite here, they live in nooks and crannies during the day and I'm unsure as to whether there is a way to tell in day light ???
Have a read through this  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0 :)

The only other thing I forgot  to ask is what are her poops like?  Have they been wormed at all?

Sarah :)

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:31 »
Thanks Sarah,

I have been reading up all I can in the meantime about red mite. I can't see any signs of it, but it won't harm to act as if we have it. I am off to buy poultry shield and diatom.

Her poo is normal, although I haven't seen her do any this morning. She is still eating and drinking, and is starting to move around a little more, though not the same as normal.

They were wormed with Flubenvet at the start of the year. I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to do it again now.

Cheers,
Jacky.

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58 »
i think someone advised taking a white tissue and scraping it along the undersides of perches and nooks and crannies, if it comes up red (squished red mite) then you know you've got em!

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45 »
I definitely can't find any sign of red mite, but she does have what looks like a bad case of lice. Would this have the same effect on her?

I have been out and can't get any poultry shield or Diatom powder locally, so am going to have to order them on the internet. For the moment will just dust them all and the hen house with both red mite powder and louse powder.

I have also given them some Lifeguard tonic in their water to try and boost her up a little.

She is definitely moving around a lot more easily as the day goes on. And all the others look fine, as normal.

Jacky.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:21 »
Red mites are a big problem lice on the other hand easier to get rid of. One hen I had I shampooed her in teatree shampoo got rid of the lice all the eggs which are glued to the feathers around the vent aera and blowed dryed her. followed up by getting the drops you put at the back of their necks for lice and mites.
You can buy them on line for poultry or at a pet shop they sell the same thing for parrots and pigons the same thing in small squezy bottles.
If she is lame she could have jumped off the perch or nest box and landed badly and sprained herself if this is the case she will take it easy for a few days and get better by herself.
hope this helps

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:49 »
Hi bluebelles,

Agree with snowflake, lice are quite straightforward compared to red mite.Johnsons spray from a pet shop will sort out the problem, or frontline drops for cats(nb not liscensed for chooks).
I am wondering though that the lice are a secondary problem, they do seem to affect poorly birds more so than healthy ones.it could be something else is the main problem. If you are certain you have no red mite,then I would be thinking firstly is her crop normal in the morning?(empty) or is there a hard lumpy feel to it or does it feel soft and full?
What colour is her comb, is it nice and red or paler than usual?
Lifegard is a good tonic, also adding apple cider vinegar is  good for digestive health so this will help her absorb nutrients,particulary if she is very thin. Check also that she is not being bullied, maybe an extra feeder might help.
Keep a very close eye on her and her behaviour, If she doesn't improve over the next 24hrs or looks worse maybe a trip to the vet is called for.
Hope this helps and keep us posted! :)

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59 »
Thanks Foxy,

Her crop looked normal last night (full) and this morning (empty), and she is still eating and drinking. In fact she ate a whole pouch of cat food this morning by herself!

She has always been bullied a bit. We had 3 bluebelles originally, then added 3 new ones (Josephine, who is a speckledy, plus a Rhode Rock and a Magpie). She is the smallest of them, so does get a bit hen pecked, however, it was never really serious, no blood drawn, and has got a lot better in the last couple of months. We also have 3 separate areas, each with water and food, and 2 hen houses, so she can always get away if she needs to.

She is running around with the rest of them now, although still sits down and stands still much more than often, so I don't think she has damaged her legs.

We are going to clean the whole house out with Jeyes fluid later, then dust it and all of the chickens with louse and red mite powder.

I will keep an eye on her today and tomorrow, and see if she lays, or continues eating. I will let you know of any changes, and if there's no improvement by tomorrow, may have to consider the vets, although the only time we have taken a chicken to our local vet, they didn't seem to know much about them.

Thanks,
Jacky.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 12:50 »
Well she's just laid an egg. Perfectly normal, nothing strange about it. And she's definitely perked up. I've just thrown them a handful of strawberries, which are their favourite and she's fought with the rest of them to get one.

Hopefully the problem was something to do with laying her egg, and she'll be better now.

Will keep you up-to-date.

Jacky. X

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 12:57 »
I would still suggest you clean the coup out with Jeyes fluid.  Remember to get in to all the cracks.  They normally are on the end of your perching bars. They do not like the dark. 
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 13:02 »
Definitely. Still planning on doing that. And have ordered the Poultry shield and Diatom powder anyway. Doesn't harm to be prepared.

Thanks everyone,
Jacky.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 13:17 »
This is what your looking for.

I used 5 pence for scale

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by debih on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:35
by debih
xx
Help! Poorly Chicken!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:13
by Very new to chickens!
xx
HELP please...poorly chicken

Started by SarahCarter on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 14:06
by Vember
xx
Poorly Chicken ~ Please Help!

Started by Richardm on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:49
by Selkie

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 36 queries.