newbie....what to feed

• 1 Replies

32newton

newbie....what to feed
« on: May 18, 2009, 13:22 »
Hello all, :)
I collected my 4 babies yesterday i have 2 bluebells (the twins Molly and Walcott) 1 goldline (hollie) and 1 amber (ronadlo) they are 12 weeks old and all females. So my first question is what to feed? i have layers pellets but should they really be on Growers, the guy i bought them from said they would be fine on layers but i want to feed whats best for them. Also when to start feeding mixed corn and grit. I have read that you feed it (corn) in the evening before they go to bed so that their crops are full (i hav'nt yet but don't want them to go to bed hungry) Also worming should i worm them straight away? and whats the best one.
I should also say that they are  be kept in a grassy run during the day and will let out into the garden supervised later on when settled in enough. I kept them in the house yesterday to settle with layers and water and checked them last night to make sure they 'perched' okay which they did i was suprised. Then this morning checked at 6:15 expecting to find them still asleep after a stressful first day and there they were sat in a row same positions as last night looking at me looking at them..so i poop scooped :ohmy: and let them be for a bit when i checked again they were all out and having a great time talking to each other. So far so good.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 13:46 by 32newton »

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: newbie....what to feed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 14:02 »
Grower Pellets are formulated for young poultry, designed specifically to help support steady growth and sexual maturity. Poultry Grower Pellets are produced in pellet form to avoid feed wastage. Suitable for all poultry as a free choice feed, but may also be fed as a restricted feed if required.

Grower Pellets are recommended to be fed from 6 - 8 weeks of age until the onset of lay, normally between 18 - 21 weeks of age, when you can start to feed layers pellets to your chickens.

Before changing to layers pellets, it is preferable to mix the layers pellets with the grower pellets to gradually introduce them over a space of a week.

- Protein 15%
- Oil 3%
- Fibre 4%
- Ash 6%
and
Layers Pellets can be fed from 3 weeks to the point of lay depletion. Also suitable for laying ducks and bantams. Contains optimum levels of essential fatty and amino acids for good egg size, with Calcium & Phosphorus to help good shell strength. Also contains natural pigments Lutein & Zeaxathin from marigold and maize extracts and Citranaxanthin found naturally in fruits for a deep yolk colour.

- Protein: 16%
- Oil: 3.5%
- Fibre: 3.5%
- Ash: 12.5%
from http://www.valupets.com/pets/chicken-feed/poultry-grower-pellets-20kg/22069.html

that's all I know, I'm afraid.
have a look at their website too, because they sell it.

Although, I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to give a better answer!
(and maybe a better place to buy it....)

bear in mind that a bag of 20kg will last 4 hens about a month.

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
wet feed

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 22:17
by Beekissed

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.