Bare root roses

• 7 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Bare root roses
« on: April 15, 2011, 20:41 »
I have got 5 bare root roses ( aren't I lucky  ::)) and have 'heeled' them in waiting for brilliant advice from everyone on how to best plant them. Please???  :wub: I am waiting for my wall flowers to die back and tulips to go over then they will be planted on a small patio border that is mostly in the sun and to make the best of them I would (and I'm sure they would) appreciate any expert advice out there.  I should say they are all English shrub from a reputable grower.

Cheers  :)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bare root roses
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 23:05 »
Make sure you keep them well watered, won't you.

At this time of year I wouldn't keep them waiting I would rather lose the tulips than kill the roses :(

Plant asap with some compost in the planting hole, and give them some BF&B, or rose fertiliser.
Some good advice here  :D
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=2006

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 23:15 »
Hi Lulu, I think I'd go with MOS's advice here as it could still be a wee while before the tulips and wallflowers finish (if mine are anything to go by!) With the soil getting warmer all the time, the roses will be starting to root where you've heeled them in and won't be overly happy about being pulled in a few weeks plus they'll need extra TLC what with watering etc when you do move them - why not pick all the tulips and wallflowers and have a beautiful scented display indoors and settle the roses in their permanent home? Jude. PS My snapdragons are slowly but surely growing - how are your's coming along? :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 16:43 »
Some good advice here  :D
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=2006

You'll probably notice that the planting advice is to bury the base of the stems 3" under the soil which was a bit of a surprise to me when I bought my David Austin English roses.

The graft union is usually kept just above the soil so that you know that any suckers from under the soil need to be removed, but this doesn't seem to apply to DA roses (perhaps they are not grafted; must say I didn't look very closely when I planted them but in any event they have done brilliantly since planting them a few years ago.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

black diamond

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 19:24 »

I bought some Roses from Harkness and there advice is to plant with the union about 1 in below soil level.Planted mine in the bad weather and they are doing fine.I would go with the others and get them planted as you can.

Lulu

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 22:48 »
Hi, thanks for the replies - my roses are from David austin so I've read the advice already and have now bought some special rose growing stuff.  I think you are all right - so tomorrow the tulips and wall flowers will go.  I will cut the wall flowers - never thought of putting them in a vase before so will give it ago.  (I grew them as well !! and they are lovely). I was going to the lottie tomorrow to plant some carrots but they can wait til Friday, the roses can't.

Hey jude - my snap drgaons don't seem to be progressing at the moment, thanks for asking. They are not growing any more leaves but keeping the inital 2 leaves.  Should I be doing something else??? (maybe give them some rose growing stuf  :D :D :D)

I'm so excited about my roses - they are all different colours. Must take a photo when they flower.  Thanks so much for the help. :)

Lulu

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 19:56 »
I've done them, the bed now looks like I've planted sticks!!!!  :wub: Hope it works now. :)

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 18:44 »
how did your roses do then? i have two rose beds with all types of hybrid teas and david austin old english roses, they are such a delight, even in the winter when they just look like sticks :) i cover them in w r horse manure in the winter and feed them well in the summer.  they are just my favourite flowers.  hope yours give you lots of pleasure .

xx
Bare root Rudbeckia Goldsturm

Started by Torgan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 16:29
by sunshineband
question
Where can I buy good quality bare root Yew plants for hedging

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 19:43
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Roses

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

29 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 00:10
by Trillium

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 40 queries.