Onions going to seed - what to do?

• 15 Replies

Auntiemogs

Onions going to seed - what to do?
« on: June 03, 2012, 19:50 »
My onions (Karmen) which I planted last November have seed pods which I have pulled off.  I was hoping to store them but saw in a previous post by DD that this would affect the storage ability as the stalk goes down into the bulb.  :(
Is it worth leaving them a while longer now that I have nipped off the flower heads in the hope that they will bulk up or should I whip them out now, chop and freeze?
Also, if I do pull them, can I chop and freeze the leafy growth for soups etc. as it would be a shame to waste it?
Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onions going to seed - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 19:56 »
it's usual to leave them to carry on growing. They do bulk up but keep a wide neck, so don't dry out very well.
If there are too many to use quickly  - I chop and freeze them, but they need double bagging or else the whole freezer will smell of onions  :ohmy:
You can chop the green tops up like leeks for soup ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 19:58 »
By all means use some if you want to, but they will bulk up, however as you've read in a previous reply, the bit of the flower stem inside the bulb will start to rot quite quickly.

You get more onion by leaving them to mature, then chopping & freezing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 19:58 »
Winter onions don't store well,they are a crop to bridge the gap between last years stored onions until this years are ready Aug/sept.Some of mine have produced seed heads that I've snapped off but will leave in but start to use those ones 1st as I need them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 20:05 »
Thanks so much guys.  :)
They are only about 3cm across at the mo so will leave them be and hoik them out when they are bigger.
Frozen onions are so handy to have around but is good to know I can use the leaves too as I hate waste (must be my age).  :D

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 23:09 »
I grow a packet of winter onions each year and use them from 1st may every year first as green onions and then as bigger normalish size.. They just tite us over till the main summer crop  is ready. When they start to send flower spikes up they get hoiked out and eaten... like the ones I pulled out yesterday - they don't get a chance to be frozen!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 23:23 »
I don't have very much space Gavin & just wanted to get something in.  ::) 
Next year I might just wait until spring to plant, not sure what is best though. Ailsa Craig seems to be popular?
Love onions but don't cook regularly so the best thing for me is to freeze them if I can't store them. Might have a couple out tomorrow though!  :tongue2:

gavinjconway

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 00:08 »
We freeze a load of the main crop. Just cut and freeze then use for soups, with white sauce and stews. Also freeze some tops when they are still youngish before they go all grey and too big.. Even with limited space it's worth the winter growing and just plant them close together. I used to do 3 rows x 3" each way in my tubs on my roof.. A packet of 75 sets will only take up a small area about 6' x 1' then when they come out you can still do something else.. beetroot maybe..

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 00:28 »
Isn't it amazing what you can pack into a small space when you don't have much?  :)
After buying a square foot gardening book, I'm cramming in a much as I can but you have just reminded me to sow a few more beets.
Guess I'll have to be reading up on what to sow for overwintering soon!  ::)
Since I'm going to freeze them anyway I guess it makes sense to overwinter the onions and bung something else in.
Ta hun. :-)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 08:27 »
My onions have done the same, i said this year i would stick to seeds but got some sets cheap and they bolted again. My seed onions are looking great not as big yet but still looking good with no flower trying to grow.
Thanks
Kris

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 10:16 »
Yep, loads of over wintering onions on our allotments have gone to seed, mine included. Might have been the odd spring weather down here - a quick burst of warm weather then a few cold weeks could have stressed the plants.

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 14:59 »
We bought some Karmen onion sets this time to try and noticed over the weekend that they are starting to go to seed too....I thought I had read on the packet that they were slow to bolt! and good keepers.

gavinjconway

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 15:24 »
This is the most bolting of winter onions I have had over the last few years - obviously because of the changing weather..

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 17:09 »
My senshyu yellow are ok so far - fingers crossed - shame they don't store well.  :blush:

Beklet

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:06 »
Got back from my holiday to find mine had bolted - and the shallots too! Spent a fair pit of time nipping all the flower heads off (and I bet I missed one)

xx
Some of my onions gone to seed.

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 17:44
by Jonajo
xx
Onions from seed

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 20:45
by shaun
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 22:51
by pushrod
xx
Onions TRYING to go to seed

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 14:05
by Growing4mykids

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 40 queries.