What can be sowed now, or in the coming months?

• 14 Replies

Batesy

What can be sowed now, or in the coming months?
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:59 »
Hi all,
This year was my first year of having an allotment, and the fact that I had to learn everything from scratch, combined with the strange weather we've had this year, meant that I missed out on sowing and planting a few things. I've managed to grow garlic, onions, potatoes, parsnips, runner beans, carrots, french beans, beetroot, cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli and sweetcorn. A few things I wanted to grow but missed out on are leeks, butternut squash, peppers, raspberries and pumpkins.

I still have a lot of space around the plot though. Is there anything that can be sowed now, or in the coming months that can be harvested before the weather turns, or left over winter? I'm having a go at some second-crop potatoes, but these are going to go in tubs in the garden so that I can keep a closer eye on them.
Many thanks

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Re: What can be sowed now, or in the coming months?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:15 »
Well you managed quite a lot really!
Have you harvested onions and garlic? They both can be planted in late autumn for over wintering (although never really had good success with the over wintering onions- need a certain variety). I'm putting some Pak Choi, Rocket and late season salad leaves, which hopefully I can harvest before winter weather hits.

meriad

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 13:27 »
I also think you've done really well with what you have grown...    will follow with interest as, same as you,  this is my first year with the allotment so curious to see what the replies are

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 14:07 »
Spring onions, kale, then garlic and shallots later on.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 14:09 »
Well the main site has a monthly guide and there is a link to a sowing and harvest chart if you scroll down the page.

Fruit & Vegetable Growing Guide for August

I have just sorted out some seeds for sowing and I have spring cabbage, oriental greens, bits for the greenhouse overwinter (winter salad mix, land cress, purslane, chervil and parsley) and spinach on my list.  There are probably more but they are at home and I am at work at the moment  :lol:

Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 17:03 »
There are late lettuces if you are quick and the weather is kind. Oh and radish possibly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 17:04 by Christine »

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 18:53 »
I'm in my first year as well.  Just sown some different sorts of winter radishes, some spinach which does well in the cooler weather and taken a chance by planting some onion seeds which can be sown this time of year.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 20:48 »
I'd perhaps go around your local garden centre and see what's being sold off; at our local Bean & Queued this week I could have bought half-price strawberry plants (plant now, for next year), half-price shallots (plant now to use the tops as onion greens), and you might still find a strip or two of late leek plants which should grow slowly through autumn.

G&R

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 08:08 »
As it is raining this morning (thank the Lord) I will be in the greenhouse sowing in modules - spring onion, lettuce, spinach, chervil, coriander, mizuna, oriental mustard, chard, kale and spring cabbage. Then I will go down the pub for a pint! No point in flogging yourself to death.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:52 »
As it is raining this morning (thank the Lord) I will be in the greenhouse sowing in modules - spring onion, lettuce, spinach, chervil, coriander, mizuna, oriental mustard, chard, kale and spring cabbage. Then I will go down the pub for a pint! No point in flogging yourself to death.

I philosophy I entirely endorse!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 09:30 »
I am adding turnips to the list, and winter radishes, plus mustard greens
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Batesy

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 09:43 »
Thanks for the replies. As I was listing what I've grown so far it did seem like a lot. Trouble is because the plot is quite large it doesn't seem like much. I think I will have a go at getting some kale in, although yesterday I was warned that the rats usually start coming before the end of September.

saul

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 22:49 »
I don't tend to follow what the books or websites say i class them more as a guide line.
its worked for me over the last 40 years and my father before me if you have space i would plant beetroot turnip sweede lettuce will keep going they prefer the cold to the heat and are surprisingly hardy, carrots are good and may not get huge but will stay in the ground until you need them kol rabi and cabbage to grow slowly ready for spring. also check you soil its getting near a good time for some green fertalizer.
enjoy whatever you try and remember if the packet says sow in august it dosn't mean you cant sow on the 1st of september.

Christine

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53 »
enjoy whatever you try and remember if the packet says sow in august it dosn't mean you cant sow on the 1st of september.
Exactly. A point so often missed.

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 10:41 »
I had just finished writing my list of what I need to sow now when I saw this post and thread.  This is what I shall be sowing in the next week or so:
Fennel - just enough time for a next sowing
Spring cabbage
Spring onions - still time for a crop
Coriander - in polytunnel
Winter lettuce
quick heading broccoli
mustard greens
Land cress
More beetroot in the polytunnel
cooking radish

I have ordered garlic which will go in late September / early October.
Wizard field beans (excellent broad bean substitute) go in last week of October / 1st week November

xx
Anyone sowed their Leeks yet?

Started by Dragonfly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 18:07
by shaun
xx
Onions just sowed.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 19:04
by Steve.B
xx
Any one sowed carrots yet?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 12:46
by jambop
xx
just sowed my beans

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:18
by Eristic

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 39 queries.