I've been all in the dark - literally

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

I've been all in the dark - literally
« on: June 13, 2019, 15:45 »
Last Friday or Saturday night, 3am, reading book, bedside light went off.  Eventually found the right bulb, change it, no difference.  After much swearing and trying to move the bedside table, check the fuse box and one was down, flicked it up and all was ok.  Sunday night after volunteering at St Barnabas all day.  Sat down and about 9pm, a big bang and everything went off.   tried to flick the fuse back up, and sparks were appearing.    So only 1 light socket working in the kitchen, no other lights, garage door stuck down, no heat, no hot water no kitchen appliances.  No panic - well a bit !, Rang electrician who had been here (upstairs in loft) and left a message.   The next morning I was able to flick the fuse and just get the garage doors open, then it went off.    Went into garage, all 3 freezers off, and fridge and microwave and lights, this continued down into greenhouse and shed etc.
I rang the chap again, and he said he would be up later.   He was - thoroughly bad tempered, and he said I don't know what is wrong, but I will change this fuse over to the one beside it.  But don't ring me tonight if it goes off, because there is nothing I can do.   As he drove off, it all went off again. So I did ring, and he said, I will ring you in the morning to tell you when I am coming.  Wednesday morning, I rang him, after a very dark and cold Tuesday.  He said, I'm busy, I shall be with you next Monday.  But todays Wednesday, I replied, and more or less finished the call.
Last week, I noticed a new neighbour had 2 electrician vans and had remembered the name.   So I rang them.  Somebody will be with you in the hour.   By now my blood pressure was off the gauge and I slumped to the floor.   10 mins later 'phone rang.   Hallo, I am Martin, I will be with you in 30 mins, don't worry sweetheart, I will sort it.
He was here from 10.30 to 4.30 and went everywhere in the house.   He found some wiring that is out of date, and other things that are wrong, but couldn't find the current fault,  but after much detective work, declared it wouldn't go again.   I paid him, and off he went, but not before, he has arranged to come back on 24th June, 2 men, 3 days, and replace the old fuse box, take out something very big and redundant in the cupboard, and run all new stuff from the house to the garage.    £1,800, but less if the take less time.
So today, I have been trying to clear out, soggy food  It is disgusting.   I have thawed one little freezer out, there was so much ice, it was probably the cause of the problem :nowink: 
Sadly, last night the man was coming to measure up for my new ( windows taped up) greenhouse, so I have had to put him off.   No money for toys and playthings now.
But the positive sides are, I shall know I am safe, and have the certificate, and it could have happened in the winter.
I feel nervous now I press any switches  :ohmy:   Calamity Jane, my Mum and Dad used to call me. :wacko:  regards, Mrs Bouquet.
PS:  I didn't realise how much I use this tap-top until it didn't work, oh, the withdrawals.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: I've been all in the dark - literally
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 18:49 »
Oh no!  That must have been scary  :ohmy:

Glad to hear you're sorted for now
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 11:41 »
A very worrying situation for you... we rely upon good tradesmen who both know what they are doing and can be trusted to give you honest information as well as a decent price.

It will be worth the money to know you have a modern consumer unit (fuse box) and rewired ring mains.

I presume there are some areas of old wiring.. If everything is being rewired then £1,800 is a pretty good price considering the amount of work but it depends upon the number of circuits / rooms.

Had you thought of getting a second / third opinion and quote?

I would not go back to the first chap ever - sounds as if it was too much for him and / or he did not know what he was doing.

Some Home Insurance policies have "Home Safe" (I think it is called). It comes as part of the policy but if you use it does not knock up your following years costs. We have it. If the drains block, the boiler stops or the electricity fails you can call a number and they come out to make sure you can stay in your home. After that you have to sort out your own contractor to come and do any other work to rectify a fault. Home Safe just gets you going again so you have time to organise quotes and a longer lasting repair.

Having safe electrics is so important. If the company coming out can give you a certificate to say the system has been checked and meets legal requirements that's really useful for both peace of mind and if / when you come to sell at a time in the future.

Hope it all goes well.   Claim on insurance for lost food in the freezers? Sometimes your excess makes it not worth doing but it is a thought.

If it were me, I would also want to know exactly what caused the problem in the first place... Nothing to do with water ingress into a circuit? Wondered after all this rain?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:44 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 15:57 »
I know it's a lot of money, but at least you'll have the comfort of knowing that you won't have to go through anything like that when it's winter time, and freezing cold.  Plus faulty electrics can sometimes cause fires so you won't have that worry either.
I don't know if having completely new wiring might lower the cost of your home insurance, but it might be worth asking once it is finished.
Take care, and stay safe.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 15:31 »
Is it a house or bungalow?
Your electrics would go into your loft, where your 1st electrician was working.
Your socket circuit blew due to a problem either with the circuit (did he accidently drill/screw/nail into a wire), followed by the main fuse in your fuse board.
Seems surprising that he cannot rule out appliances or check to see if the circuit has a short.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 15:48 »
Is it a house or bungalow?
Your electrics would go into your loft, where your 1st electrician was working.
Your socket circuit blew due to a problem either with the circuit (did he accidently drill/screw/nail into a wire), followed by the main fuse in your fuse board.
Seems surprising that he cannot rule out appliances or check to see if the circuit has a short.

Agree - first check should be to see which circuit was involved then look for possible faulty equipment plugged into it. Isolating one at a time could help identify or exclude that as a problem.

A modern fuse board is useful - trip switches for each ring mains and lighting circuit isolates a fault and should leave the rest of the system functioning.

Whatever you have done or needs doing the electrician should be able to give a clear, simple explanation of why it needs doing...

Hope it goes well and you worries regarding your electrics are soon over.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 16:06 »
I have complete confidence in the men and the Company who are coming back, he was so thorough.  It is a very reputable business with a large shop with lighting etc, about 20 mins from me.   They have been there forever.   I know he will give me full explanations (most of which he has already done), and they will do a lot of work, 2 men, 2 days !!.   I shall have my Certificate, and be sure and comfortable that I am safe.

He did explain that so many rules and regulations have changed regarding electricity that what was ok and signed off (council building regs done etc), upgrades now need doing to work carried out 20 or 25 years ago.

Can I thank you for taking time to read my long post, and I shall let you know when they have finished and update you with the problems etc.  regards  Mrs Bouquet

xx
As it is getting dark already

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2020, 18:47
by snowdrops
xx
Some things to ponder over on dark nights.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2017, 14:22
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 46 queries.