Frozen Solid Seedlings...

• 7 Replies

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
Frozen Solid Seedlings...
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:55 »
Cold snap seems to have been the death of my pea seeds that were growing in root trainers on the poly tunnel bench. Went in this morning and they're frozen solid!!! The cabbage seedlings look even worse, but the sweet peas are still trooping on...

Oh well, time to sow some more...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Frozen Solid Seedlings...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:59 »
We do keep advising about sowing too early!

Why are you messing about with peas in root trainers? Totally unnecessary!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 16:55 »
They might be ok.  I 've had frozen brassica plants that looked really poorly but they were all right, just sulking a bit

Fleece them 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 16:59 »
Mrs Digger (accidentally - I think) unplugged my greenhouse heater for one night last year. It was curtains!

It just depends how advanced they were & how cold it got.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 19:18 »
Mrs Digger (accidentally - I think) unplugged my greenhouse heater for one night last year. It was curtains!

It just depends how advanced they were & how cold it got.

Sounds like too cold  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 22:21 »
DDs right kosh your sowing to early! its great when you get away with it but its always a risk.Its that time of year again should i shouldent i we all chance it now and again. Re sow matey and good luck

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09 »
Don't expect too much when using fleece - its main uses are for protecting outdoor crops from ground frosts by deflecting the cold descending air, and also for providing protection from damaging cold winds - neither of these really apply in a greenhouse (if the air temperature inside is -5C for a sustained period of time that's exactly what your plants will experience, with or without fleece - the most you can hope for is to preserve what little daytime warmth there might have been for a little bit longer.)

Bubble-wrap or similar insulation is possibly the way to go to try to keep the overall temperature up without artificial heating (it could make the vital difference, but I have yet to experiment with it.)

Outdoor temperatures forecast to fall to -12C or even lower in some parts of the country later this week - Beware!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 20:01 »
Just the sort of think I would do 1) like planting spring broad beans in neat '6X'compost in January then wondering why nothing happened or 2)planting seeds in cold multi compost in cell trays inside an electric propogator in a dark freezing garage.

I'd wait a while with seedlings certainly till the sun warms up good and proper then go for it again. Get a soil thermometer. That'll tell you when the starting pistols ready.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.