Will lemongrass overwinter in a tunnel?

• 14 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Will lemongrass overwinter in a tunnel?
« on: December 19, 2011, 20:51 »
I'm in the planning stage for my new polytunnel, working out what I can grow in there. I'm wondering if lemongrass would survive through the winter in there. Anyone tried it?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Will lemongrass overwinter in a tunnel?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 21:20 »
I tried to overwinter lemongrass in the greenhouse (unheated).  It was a quite established plant and I got it up off the ground and wrapped it up well with fleece, but it didn't make it :(

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:17 »
They're easily raised from seed so it's not a disaster if they don't make it

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 13:50 »
Yes, but looking on some of the threads here it seems that it takes 2 years before the stems really get thick enough. Is that right or is a 1 year stem ok?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 13:17 »
Weeell, you might be right about that, but I raised mine and was eating them in the same season, but admitted they were thin but had the full amount of flavour, which is what it's about  :)

gobs

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 00:17 »
I'm in the planning stage for my new polytunnel, working out what I can grow in there. I'm wondering if lemongrass would survive through the winter in there. Anyone tried it?

No, it won't.

It needs heat.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

savbo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 15:11 »
Yes, but looking on some of the threads here it seems that it takes 2 years before the stems really get thick enough. Is that right or is a 1 year stem ok?
OR...Buy a packet from grocers (usually trimmed less finely than from supermarket, leaving some root plate) in early spring, stand in water til they root then grow on in pots - will multiply nicely and give you half a dozen stems at least per plant

LilacSandy

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 19:29 »
Bother,  I used a whole packet of seeds and only got two plants, I have nursed them all year and they have not even got to pencil thickness yet and now you tell me they will die.  :( :(, oh well, greengrocers it is then  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 22:55 »
Bother,  I used a whole packet of seeds and only got two plants, I have nursed them all year and they have not even got to pencil thickness yet and now you tell me they will die.  :( :(, oh well, greengrocers it is then  :lol:

Put them in your bathroom or something like that, in a nice pot.

As Savbo says they readily grow from a stick from the shop.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:12 »
I grew mine from a stalk bought from the supermarket.  Rooted very quickly in a glass of water on the windowsill and rocketed away once planted into a pot.

Trouble is lemongrass is a big plant - think pampas grass.  Mine was in a large terracotta pot so was way too big to have inside the house, but the stalks I did harvest were pretty thin.

If you want a nice lemon flavoured herb, lemon verbena will usually get through the winter in an uheated greenhouse or tunnel and makes a nice patio shrub for the summer.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 10:06 »
WOW!

I had no idea lemongrass grew so massive. Photos I've see must have been of very young plants  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 12:36 »
Actually, I was re-reading my polytunnel book last night and noticed that the author had pictures of the lemon grass he was overwintering in his tunnel. He had the grass in a pot and was wrapping it in fleece as well as keeping it in the tunnel, and apparently that was working.

gobs

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 19:44 »
He must be living south from here, that's all I can say. :lol:

They are a weed if liking it. So it might be just as well, that they do not make it through the winter.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 19:58 »
WOW!

I had no idea lemongrass grew so massive. Photos I've see must have been of very young plants  :ohmy:

Well I did start my plant off in the winter inside.  It went into a 2L pot in the spring in the greenhouse and just grew and grew.  By winter again it was in a long tom pot and huge.  Then I saw a cookery programme, forget where, but they were picking lemongrass out of someone's garden and you would have sworn it was pampas. 

'Twas at that point I wrapped mine in fleece in the greenhouse and said good luck chappie, but the cold last winter was too much for it  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 20:46 »

WOW!

I had no idea lemongrass grew so massive. Photos I've see must have been of very young plants  :ohmy:

Well I did start my plant off in the winter inside.  It went into a 2L pot in the spring in the greenhouse and just grew and grew.  By winter again it was in a long tom pot and huge.  Then I saw a cookery programme, forget where, but they were picking lemongrass out of someone's garden and you would have sworn it was pampas.  

'Twas at that point I wrapped mine in fleece in the greenhouse and said good luck chappie, but the cold last winter was too much for it  :)

Might have been a bit of a blessing in disguise -- think how big it might have been by now  :ohmy: :ohmy:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 20:48 by sunshineband »

xx
Overwinter veg

Started by Stringbags on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post October 03, 2016, 20:29
by mumofstig
xx
Tunnel Q

Started by AndyRVTR on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
Birds in my tunnel

Started by shokkyy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 21:53
by rowlandwells
xx
Leeks in tunnel

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 11:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.