What are you giving one final, FINAL, chance to next year?

• 33 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Hope you are not all fed up with these "What are you growing next year" threads by now!  ;)

I've tried growing Marketmore outdoor ridge cucumbers for at least five years; in a cold frame they turned to crisps from red spider mite attack, outdoors they have sulked/died if put out too early, or run out of sunshine and warmth if put out later. I have probably had about 10 cucumbers in the five years I have been trying; next year is definitely THEIR VERY LAST CHANCE, otherwise it's a Basil Fawlty thrashing with a big branch (or possibly a blowlamp!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: What are you giving one final, FINAL, chance to next year?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 13:10 »
Peppers for me, theyve been decimated by the caterpillars, and we dont like them enough to really put any more effort in.  If they dont behave, then Ill do more chillies
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lucylike

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 13:49 »
Carrots - they just don't get into shape or size

Tomatoes from seeds - bought plants in the end

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 15:32 »
Cucumbers for pickling.  They were fabulous until I planted them outside.  Then they pouted and were devoured by my hens.   :dry:

Onions: planted them too late and too deep.  Hens found the tops mighty tasty too.  >:(
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

madcat

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 16:22 »
Tomatoes on the allotment.  Too many sources of blight.  I think I have spent more on spray to keep them going than anything else this year.  Grrrr .....   >:( 

I just don't know if I can find anywhere to put them at home   ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 17:12 »
I'm trying Broad Beans over winter, my spring planted ones were a total wash out due to black fly. If I have no success with the Autumn planted ones then I won't bother with them again.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 18:21 »
Kohl Rabi
Sowed the seed ~ the seedlings appeared but the only one was worth eating. The rest were the size of marbles!!

Jazz!
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Christine

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 18:45 »
Red onions  :unsure:

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 22:00 »
Dwarf greengage that only produced one greengage, even though it was very tasty :(
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 22:17 »
Tomatoes on the allotment.  Too many sources of blight.  I think I have spent more on spray to keep them going than anything else this year.  Grrrr .....   >:( 

I just don't know if I can find anywhere to put them at home   ???

No you wouldn't have spent more on spray than anything else, unless you've covered your allotment with them.

Round terms - 6 sachets for £6.

Makes 2.2 litres.

That's way too much for my 30+ plants, 1/4 sachet is more than enough.

That's about 25p every ten days or so.

2.5p a day too much?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Babstreefern

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 22:30 »
Definitely carrots.  For whatever reason, I cannot grow the little blighters.  It really grates when people say they are the easiest thing to grow.  I don't think so pal >:(  Anyway, I've got a completely different type, so I will try ONE LAST TIME :blush:
Babs

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 22:40 »
Definitely carrots.  For whatever reason, I cannot grow the little blighters.  It really grates when people say they are the easiest thing to grow.  I don't think so pal >:(  Anyway, I've got a completely different type, so I will try ONE LAST TIME :blush:

We ended up building a raised bed at home just for carrots and snips.  Containers are OK, but just doesnt provide enough for us.  The raised bed cost more than we expected but it does look nice, and its my part of the plot at home. Its even replaced the BBQ  :D But ive got some lovely snips and carrots this year - and plenty to last us with more in now. Worth a think if you have the room

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 23:06 »
As this was my first year, I'll try everything again next year. The gentleman next to me, who has had his allotment forever has told me what doesn't grow well, with a bit of the "Don't bother trying..." so I might hide those in the middle. I would like to grow a cauli bigger than 1" across!

Cazzy

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 23:08 »
Aubergine, flowers appear then die and fall off.  I'll try hand pollinating next year, if that doesn't work out they go.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 23:49 »
Kohl Rabi
Sowed the seed ~ the seedlings appeared but the only one was worth eating. The rest were the size of marbles!!

Jazz!
You were lucky :)
Mine grew massive, swamped other crops upto 4ft away and then the leaves were savaged by cabbage whites (they actually burst through any protection we put over)
Bulbs were the size of small footballs but having suffered a couple we gave the rest away and the universal response was 'they were OK but....'
Kohl rabi supershmeltz-Just say NO.

Back to the main thread,perhaps I am just unlucky  but every time I sow pak choi they attract every slug in the area, last year they reached about 1" high, this year 2 sowings, nothing past seedling stage  :(

xx
giving spuds a final boost ?

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 23:27
by solway cropper
xx
Sprouts final days!

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 12:22
by PAH48
xx
Final pot size for aubergine

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2022, 20:58
by Contadino
xx
2024: Final warning!

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 07, 2024, 20:31
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 39 queries.