Collecting manure

• 10 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Collecting manure
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:07 »
A fellow allotmenteer on a neighbouring site has been collecting manure from a local stable who leave it out in bags for you to take & return empty sacks. I've used some this year and it seems to be OK aminopyralid-wise. I'm now thinking of picking up a bag a week or so to store somewhere so i can spread it on empty bits of the plot in the winter, as i can't really afford to shell out for a delivery and worry about contamination issues.
What should I store it in, can I spread it "fresh" as it will be left over the winter, or does it have to rot down first?
Thanks
JMW

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Collecting manure
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:38 »
I'm no great expert on manure but I would say it could either go in the compost bin or be left in a pile of its own.  Fresh manure takes nitrogen from the soil in order to decompose, so the advice is I think not to apply it fresh for that reason.  However, if you've got nowhere else to store it then I'd have thought it's better to have it than not at all.

Would like to hear what others with more experience say, though
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:54 »
On our site some are using fresh horse manure (its a mix of wood shavings and straw) as a mulch for their late crop spuds. I was thinking of doing the same so I could dig it in at the end of the season. Heavy rain is due saturday so I thought I would barrow a load up from the communal pile sunday. Anyone know if this would this be ok as a mulch?

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 14:10 »
Over the past couple of years I've greatfully recieved bag loads of horse manure..
each year piled it up in a pallet style compost heap, layering it as I go..by that I mean
two bags of manure and then cover with vedge waste (greens) from the plot. again
add more manure, so on and so forth..each year Novemberish cover the surface of
my next years potato beds  3-5inch deep, leave till Jan-Feb time dig it over.
This seems to allow the weather to rot it down....and I gotta be honest the results
have been great so far..
Also always hold back at least one bag full, which is tipped into an old plastic onion
sack, tied to a stout stick  and hung into a barrel of water...liquid manure on tap...
Ideal for them hungry cougettes, toms ect....

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 15:18 »
I pick some up every week from a friend with horses - usually get 2 large 'bags for life' full and store it in a 1 ton sand sack that I found after the gales 2 years ago (it's an ill wind...). Bag is full now and will be spread about in the new year.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

shay

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 17:28 »
So if I stacked a few bags each week in a pallet style enclosure and then use over the winter all I then have to do is dig it over come Jan-Feb?

I can pretty much get manure as and when I want it so if the above is ok, I could set my manure in now. Also the with regards the pallet enclosure would I need to line the inside of it to keep warmth etc or by putting a tarpaulin liner in there would it just become a water collector with horse dodo in it for good measure?

Buzzy bee

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 18:25 »
Hi

I would think you all know this, but you can fill the gap between the potato mounds with muck, then the rain will filter through it, watering it in, and then when the potatos are up, just dig it in as normal.

Good way to store it too.

I am planning on bringing some muck, a trailer on the back of the tractor, and just tip it, this winter, then start a fresh again next year.

Cheers

Dave

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 19:42 »
But the last thing you want to do is dig in fresh manure into existing crops. The strong urines and other factors will burn plant roots which is why its better to use old manure for existing crops. By using a bit of fresh manure as mulch, be sure it is only a little bit as you'd risk plant roots with too much.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 22:28 »
yes, it needs to be well rotted down before you use it. Mine is stored for most of the year before I use it.

Shay, I would line the sides of the pallet box with plastic or a tarp, to keep the heat in, but not the floor, so it drains. Also put a lid on (carpet or black plasstic) to keep the heat in. You can keep adding to it as you get new supplies and if the stack gets very hot, it's a good idea to turn it and get some air in, that will speed up the rotting process.

shay

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:15 »
Gonna sound silly but when you have a pallet full of manure how do you manage to turn it? shovel out into another pallet box? I have the space to do this so could literally have one as a spare. Also is it likely to just get hot during the summer months, meaning when it starts getting colder the need to turn is not there?

My plots are quite large so if I were to get the beds ready with soil etc, would I be ok to put manure on the top as well bearing in mind this would be preperation for next year?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 13:09 »
Gonna sound silly but when you have a pallet full of manure how do you manage to turn it? shovel out into another pallet box? I have the space to do this so could literally have one as a spare. Also is it likely to just get hot during the summer months, meaning when it starts getting colder the need to turn is not there?

My plots are quite large so if I were to get the beds ready with soil etc, would I be ok to put manure on the top as well bearing in mind this would be preperation for next year?

yes, you can just turn it out into another pallet box, that would do. Re getting hot - a full box of fresh manure will get very hot any time of the year - i've seen steam rising off one in the depths of winter! But I would only turn it in the summer, the decomposition does slow down in the winter.

xx
Collecting seed.

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:22
by DD.
xx
Collecting own seeds

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 10:03
by shaun
xx
Leaf collecting

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 22:16
by carlrmj
xx
Seaweed Collecting

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2018, 12:59
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 33 queries.