leggy seedlings

• 4 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
leggy seedlings
« on: April 30, 2012, 17:55 »
Hi all
After the excitement of 3 runner bean seeds germinating a few days ago, they are now getting above their station and going all leggy ... They are on a south west facing window cill which has a venetian blind, which I keep down and adjusted to the seedlings aren't in very bright direct light. Is this the problem? Will they calm down and bush out? Any implications for planting out? At this rate, they'll be 2 feet tall by the end of May (at least) ...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: leggy seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 18:05 »
well thats what climbing beans do - they climb, they don't 'bush out' much at all  ;)

Obviously you sowed them too soon  :( If you have no greenhouse to grow them on in, then you'd be better starting again later in May - sorry!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 19:01 »
I suspect that the blind isn't helping.  Give them full sunlight.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 19:21 »
I can understand the logic that if plants are growing too fast it must be caused by too much light, but the truth is that pale and leggy plants are usually the result of insufficient light  (especially if they are also too warm - runner beans like warmth but given that windows filter out quite a lot of sunlight they need every bit of light you can give them.)

(DD is on holiday, but I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning that using aluminium foil behind the plants will increase the amount of reflected light they get from the window.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 20:23 »
Thanks for the advice - looks like I may have been a bit too keen to get going with my first foray into growing my own :) ..... all good experience, though.  Will wait a week or two and sow some more.  Will move these few into the conservatory and see what happens.

xx
why are my seedlings so leggy?

Started by laalaa on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 20:02
by corndolly
xx
Leggy Seedlings

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 22:24
by DD.
xx
leggy seedlings

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 18:44
by 666
xx
Leggy tom seedlings

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 14:50
by DD.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.