how big a space you need

• 9 Replies

prakash_mib

how big a space you need
« on: April 03, 2012, 21:11 »
I remember we chatted about lottery ticket jackpot couple of years ago. I am bit stretched out at the minute time wise. but things are nicely falling into places. The urge to grow more heads up. nearby there is a grassland of .42 acre on sale. will that be too big for me to start of. I have no clue. the price stated is exorbitant (5X).
I need advice please.
If i feel like I can manage I am going to put an offer (not even close to the asking price)
for me I like to grow vegetables and fruits. no livestock.
help please!!!  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 21:15 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: how big a space you need
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 21:16 »
Less than half an acre shouldn't be too much for you Prakash, but you need to make sure that you would be allowed to grow veg on the land before you buy it.
Cheese makes everything better.

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 21:20 »
Less than half an acre shouldn't be too much for you Prakash, but you need to make sure that you would be allowed to grow veg on the land before you buy it.
classed as grade 3 agricultural land. is that any good indication?   :unsure:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 21:30 by prakash_mib »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21 »
If you're buying land then you should use a lawyer who will confirm but as far as I know growing veg is agricultural activity so shouldn't be a problem

.42 of an acre is 1700 square meters.
A standard allotment  is 250 sq M (10 rods)
So you're looking at roughly 7 plots. Room for lots of fruit and veg, chickens and maybe some geese or even a goat (although you really should look to have 2 goats as they like company)

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:55 »
Thanks john.
what kind of equipment do I need to work with. (cant have jsut fork and spade for 1700 sq m. I am struggling to keep up a 170 sqm right now)?
another question. if the plot is far away (say 4 miles) from home how can you keep livestock there?
they need to be tended everyday dont they?  :unsure:
you cant have an off day thinking that they will take care of themselves, can you?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 17:12 »
Prakash

For that sort of area you'd need a good rotovator at least - a small tractor might be overkill.

You certainly can't have an off day with livestock - in fact for some you'd need to be there all the time at points. Need to think about security as well - hen rustling by people, foxes etc.

Maybe you could consider an orchard area or even permaculture. Productive but not labour intensive

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 17:23 »
I bought an extra half acre so my total is an acre and I do dig it by hand -- but some of it is grass around fruit trees and soft fruit that just needs occasional hoe around. I work six large plots and 12 beds just for veg. Also keep ducks and have a poly tunnel and 2 greenhouses so that uses up some rainy weather time. You could progressively develop things making it more or less labour intensive. I have a mantis rotavator, it is two years old and still in the box it was delivered in -- when I get some time I will put it together but currently I love to work in my garden. Luckily mine is at home so security not an issue and I can always fit in an extra half hour if I like although I also run a business
Sometimes you need to have nerve to dive in at the deep end - lots of luck
R

prakash_mib

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24 »
thanks again john and richard.
now the question getting more on financial. the landlord is asking 10K for .42 acre of land and agent commission (2K). I know it is extrotionate price but he says the land is good option for a pony paddock. (the asking price was 20K).
do you think 12K is too much (I think so)
people are mad these days  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33 »
you shouldn't have to pay the estate agent to buy, the seller pays that usually  :unsure:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 19:07 »
This is extortionate for most of the country. The general price for good quality agricultural land is £6k per acre. There will always be a bit of  premium for small plots but I think that is a lot! Location in the country does make a difference and down south with everyone wanting somewhere for little Tarquin's pony would put up the price.

That being said most people seem to recommend an acre per horse/pony which would suggest that this area was too small for a pony anyway. Might be worth pointing out to them and come up with a better offer.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Pigs and space?

Started by Boonoff on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 09:28
by joyfull
xx
How much space is needed per pig?

Started by nuzuki on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 16:35
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.