TOMATO EXPERIMENT

• 31 Replies

tiny50

TOMATO EXPERIMENT
« on: August 26, 2009, 15:27 »
Set seeds today to see if I can grow toms through the winter in my conservatory. trying Ailsa Craig,  and money maker.  just to see what happens realy,  be a nice bonus if I get some fruit though.
WIFE SAYS i AM THE BOSS IN MY OWN SHED

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
Re: TOMATO EXPERIMENT
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 15:29 »
Let us know how you get on!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 16:09 »
I hope it works, but there might just not be enough daylight for them.
Rachael

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 17:06 »
It would be easier to try rooting a side shoot from something you are already growing, they get away very quickly.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

tiny50

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11 »
SEEDS HAVE GERMINATED,  TOOK EM OUT OF THE PROPERGATER THIS MORNIN AND ARE NOW IN A PLASTIC MINI HOUSE IN THE MAIN GREENHOUSE.  I AM GOIN TO PUT ONE PLANT UNDER A GROW LIGHT AND THE OTHER TWO STRAIT IN THE HOUSE CONSERVATORY WITH RADIATORS TO KEEP EM WARM.

Riala

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:15 »
Woah! Easy on the shouting there hun!

I have considered trying to do winter toms myself, but was only met with lots of doubt and scepticism... now I feel inclined to try again!

tode

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:24 »
On a similar note, has anyone tried keeping a tomato plant over winter?  I read somewhere that in S America they are perennial. I suppose you'd have to keep them at 15 - 20°  ?

pushrod

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 13:23 »
I think that tomatoes are day neutral plants ie they do not require specific lengths of darkness compared to light to induce flowering and that they also self pollinate. However i am not so sure what their demands are regards to temperature.
 I suspect that you will have a very hard ( and expensive) job in trying to ensure that they have sufficient light and temperature to get a plant that is strong enough to bear fruit - best of luck though.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 13:50 »
I tried this a few years back with a hanging basket type - think it was Tumbler F1 from T&M.

Planted in late October - the plants grew fine but there were no flowers until early June, which turned out to be just a few weeks before the normal plants.

Let us know how you get on.

tiny50

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30 »
LIKE THE TITLE SAYS ITS JUST AN EXPERIMENT,  IF IT WORKS AND I GET FRUIT THEN GREAT,  IF IT DONT THEN IT WILL AT LEAST GIVE ME SOMETHIN TO INTEREST ME IN THE SEASON OF THE LONG SHADOWS.  I APPOLIGISE FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS, I AINT SHOUTIN, I HAVE NERVE PROBS IN MY HANDS, IT TAKES ME A LONG TIME TO TYPE OUT THIS RUBBISH, AND IF I TRY TO DO A MIX OF CAPS AND SMALL LETTERS IT WOULD TAKE ALL DAY TO TYPE THIS OUT. SO IF YOU WANT TO READ MY POSTS THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO READ IN CAPS.  SORRY ONCE AGAIN TO THOSE WHOME MIGHT GET UPSET,  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:36 »
Sorry to hear you have nerve problems in your hands tiny50.  Maybe the answer would be to type in lower case as many members seem to not bother with capital letters. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38 »
i was just going to suggest that!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pushrod

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12 »
I tried this a few years back with a hanging basket type - think it was Tumbler F1 from T&M.

Planted in late October - the plants grew fine but there were no flowers until early June, which turned out to be just a few weeks before the normal plants.

Let us know how you get on.

In the past i have tried to get my tomatoes away earlier in the spring with the aid of a little bit of parafin heating. I don't think it made much difference at all (except to my pocket paying for the fuel) as the later planted ones seemed to catch up pretty quickly to the ones that had been started earlier. I suspect that flowering may well be significantly influenced by temperatures and unless you can really control the temp (and light) that you are going to struggle changing their flowering habits.

goodegg

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55 »
sorry but you need co2 i think it is to get them to flower they normally get this from the sun in guernsey growers have severall things some sort of burners that produce this throughout the greenhouse when they want to grow early toms

Riala

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 11:58 »
I only thought it might work because it works in them super expensive Aerogarden things.

Indoors, just with special lights and nutrients.

xx
Tomato experiment

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:33
by J_B
xx
Early Tomato Experiment

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2022, 22:05
by Plot 6B
xx
So what to do ??- The Great Tomato Experiment

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

239 Replies
Last post October 13, 2012, 14:52
by bainsk8
xx
The early tomato experiment 2013

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 22:00
by Totty

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 40 queries.