The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...

• 50 Replies

Growster...

The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:03 »
Since John wangled some of us a few Crimson Crush cuttings two years ago, I've been trying an experiment.

Although most of us here thought they could be F1s, I sowed fifteen from seed from one particular cutting, and started them off again last year. Chums here might remember that two particular plants just motored away, and stayed blight free right up to October. Others from the same batch faded pretty early on, as did some Marmande. Everyone on the allotments got some blight.

The roots on one of the pair of plants were just enormous, and the leaves looked leathery with no bifurcations and stayed strong the whole time. The fruit was just a bit better than OK, but when there's blight about, anything's better than nothing at all!

So today, I've popped in twenty-five seeds from that particular plant, and we'll see what happens...

(Yeah yeah, I know I said I wouldn't, but it's a nice sunny day and the fingers start itching..;0)

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
Re: The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 13:41 »
Growster..Have you got more seeds ? I want to give it a go if yes

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 17:27 »
I bought more seeds Growster as I forgot I was going to try this for the next season. Good luck, and hope it works well!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13 »
Growster..Have you got more seeds ? I want to give it a go if yes

Hi Whitehill - I've PMd you!

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19 »
Growster,

Could you please send PM to 'whitehill1' , if you have sent to 'Whitehill' instead!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:40 »
Sowed about twenty, as I want to try and put them in strategic places where they might be among blight (like down at the Patch), and then carry on as normal!

The seedlings all have similar leaves to the parent from last year - so far that is...

How are yours Sunny and White?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:22 »
Sowed on 9th April. All "new" seeds I bought are up, plus one so far from the second generation. Look the same, but tbh so do most of the other varieties too lol

gobs

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 12:22 »
Is this supposed to be blight resistant?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 17:15 »
'Blight resistant' is the claim in the packet. Mine are 1" high, and after potting up will be in a cold conservatory until May. Thence onto allotment as a trial.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 17:18 »
Is this supposed to be blight resistant?

Gobs, the 'trial' is to use some seed from a couple of plants last year, which were seeded from a parent the year before and seemed to have different characteristics from the others planted last year, also from the same saved-seed collection.

We had blight all over the allotments, but just two plants didn't get affected, and went on for ages, such that I took some seed and dried as many as I could for this year. I've got a few left for next year, but Sunny and White also are trying some as well.

The plants' leaves look more like spuds, (not surprising), but I'm going to give them my best shot both here and down at The Patch, where blight usually gets going later on in the summer.

Crimson Crush were developed to be blight-resistant, and the two plants (from several), last year, definitely were, so it seemed worth a pop to see if they do the same this year!

There's no science involved, there's loads of evidence that they'll revert to something else; I'll hold both hands up if they fail, but heyho - what's it all about!

gobs

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 21:28 »
Thanks guys, I shall be following with interest. ;)

However, the problem is, that the pathogen mutates fast. Another strain will be around most likely, than what they are resistant to. At least, so I am told... But then, we get resistant pots. So, go for it!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05 »
100% germination this morning.... I did only sow four seeds, but looks like I could grow four plants, fingers crossed. I have their space all marked out at the plot, where every year tomatoes are decimated by late blight towards September. Last year's Crimson Crushes survived despite a few affected leaves (which I picked off)

How many are you and Whitehill growing Growster?

victoria park

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 18:08 »
A bad germination record for my Crimson crush so far this year. Managed a germination of 5 from 14 sown in a heated propagator on 23 March. Since I have sown another 18 seeds in modules in a sunny cold greenhouse on 3 April, and so far only 3 have germinated. Not very good at all. Am going to do a last sowing today/tomorrow in the heated propagator in different compost to cobble together a viable outside sauce crop. Very very poor attrition rate this year, when last year virtually all seeds germinated.
At least I'm confident that these reliable monsters will provide some sort of crop that makes it through the blight to my freezer. With a bit of basil/onion, they'll be great and outshine most shop sauces.  I only hope I have somewhere to plug my freezer in when the time comes.  :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 18:18 by victoria park »

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 20:07 »
100% germination this morning.... I did only sow four seeds, but looks like I could grow four plants, fingers crossed. I have their space all marked out at the plot, where every year tomatoes are decimated by late blight towards September. Last year's Crimson Crushes survived despite a few affected leaves (which I picked off)

How many are you and Whitehill growing Growster?

I popped in twentythree seeds, Sunny, so I can place them in the various parts of the garden, and the Patch, to try some sort of experiment... (two have been slugged - never no more, although one is trying to recuperate...).

As a humble Growster, it'll be just me doing the biz, but HEY! That's what we're all here for isn't it!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 22:06 »
Yes well, 23 sounds a perfect number really lol

I do have a significant number of plants of other varieties so had to settle for the four of Gen2e as they are labelled, which btw are now called The Penguins hehehe

xx
Crimson Crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 18:04
by Anton
xx
crimson crush

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 25, 2021, 10:06
by rowlandwells
xx
'Crimson Crush' - yet again...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 10:29
by Growster...
xx
Crimson crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 22:04
by Nicki85

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 38 queries.