Rhubarb and custard cake with variations.

• 17 Replies

Mrs Bee

Rhubarb and custard cake with variations.
« on: March 13, 2015, 23:42 »
Rhubarb and custard cake  NB leave the cooked fruit to cool before adding it to the cake. If you are making your own custard leave it to cool too.

400g rhubarb
50g caster sugar

Roast the above covered in tin foil at 200C or 180C fan. Reduce the juices in a pan until thick and syrupy and add to the rhubarb. Leave to cool. Could cook in the microwave, or in a saucepan carefully so the rhubarb stays whole. Remove when cooked and then reduce the juices left in the pan.

150g pot of ready made custard or you can make your own. Recipe at the end.

250g caster sugar
250g unsalted butter
250g SR flour, minus 2 tablespoons, replace the flour with 2 tablespoons custard powder.
2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9inch round cake tin or a tray bake tin lined with baking parchment

Cream butter, sugar, vanilla until almost white.
Beat in the eggs little by little; add a little flour if it begins to curdle.
Fold in the flour and the baking powder.

Put half the mixture into the tin.
Put dollops of rhubarb onto the cake mix, interspersed with dollops of custard.
Dot the remaining cake mix on the top of the rhubarb and the custard.

If baking in a tray bake tin bake for 40 mins at 180C or 170C fan.
If baking in a round tin bake for between 40 mins then cover with foil and cook for a further 15 mins.

You can turn this into crumble and custard cake by topping the cake with a crumble mix made with 3 oz plain flour, 1 and 1/2 oz butter and 1 and 1/2 oz of Demerara sugar.

You can also make this with apples by using the same amount of prepared apples, peeled, sliced, cored and cut into large chunks.  Cooking or eating or windfalls are fine.

Put the apples into a frying pan with 1-2 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of caster sugar. Fry over a high heat until the apples are just cooked, tender but not mushy, and the juices are reduced and caramelised.

Same method as above and you can top with the crumble mix too.
                             .....................................................................

You can do this cake with any fruit you have to hand. Gooseberries with a little elderflower cordial, blackcurrants cooked with a little more sugar, plums, black berries, raspberries without cooking them first. Could use these from frozen.
Could use sliced bananas and another variation would be to replace the custard with dulce de leche and bananas and a light sprinkling of sea salt.

If you want to make your own custard use 1/2pint milk with 12g custard powder, 23g sugar. Cover with cling film to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool. :)

snowdrops

Re: Rhubarb and custard cake with variations.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:32 »
Thank you Mrs Bee that looks most interesting. I do an American Apple cake that could be adapted possibly but I'll try yours first when I  get some homegrown rhubarb.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 08:40 »
Thank you Mrs Bee that looks most interesting. I do an American Apple cake that could be adapted possibly but I'll try yours first when I  get some homegrown rhubarb.

Is that the one we tried and made safe.  :D will try rhubarb in it but cant do custard rice milk custar is just not nice.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:45 »
Yes BQ, what about coconut milk custard?

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:23 »
Yes BQ, what about coconut milk custard?

Ahhh will have a try, was wondering if I used a double batch of custard powder with a single batch of rice milk whether that would make a thicker custard, havent had time to try it yet but maybe that would work

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:31 »

Why not try the apple version now.  You don't have to fry the apples in the butter, you could cook the apples lightly in the microwave and make the custard with whatever milk substitute you use. ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 19:37 »
Well I took your advice, it's cooking as I type :lol:, I had a near disaster though, trying to do too much. I forgot to put the custard in :ohmy:  so poked holes in & added it,luckily before it went in the oven. I've made it to take for lunch to my mums tomorrow,but hubby was hopeful for some for pudding tonight so I used some of the mix to make a teeny tiny one for us. All in the name of sampling you understand before I take it for my mum, I wouldn't want to make her ill  :lol: :lol:
Here's the two together

And here's the small one on a teaplate

Very nice it was too with a scoop of ice cream, just had a quarter each :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 20:03 by snowdrops »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 23:35 »
Well done you. ;)

I know that 'doing too much at once and making mistakes,' only too well. :wub:

As my eye sight is not as good as it once was I also skim read new recipes sometimes or just glance at the method and do the smart **se bit and make a muck up. :unsure: :wub:

Have vowed to slow down a bit and read new recipes thoroughly before I start.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56 »
 :ohmy: Missed a cake thread  :ohmy:  So where's my slice ?

I do mine in a loaf tin,  I think it allows you to create a bit more depth and seems to help with the layers. Oh and if you're feeling really naughty, you can use the rhubarb (fruit) syrup as a drizzle like a lemon drizzle cake. Poke holes, pour and cover whilst still warm.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 14:23 »
I am working through a cheesecake recipe book at the moment Lardman not cake. I can send you a slice of ginger and lemon curd cheesecake if you would like. ;)

Good idea about the depth using a loaf tin. Using the rhubarb syrup is good too.

I prefer to use all the custard dolloped in the cake mix rather than using some of it in the actual cake mix as the Saga recipe. I think you get a better custard/vanilla flavour using the custard powder and vanilla extract. Using more baking powder also gives a lighter texture too.

I have a recipe for  gorgeous pear, chocolate and amaretti cake if you want it. It would also work well with peaches and apricots too. ;)

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 16:05 »
I can send you a slice of ginger and lemon curd cheesecake if you would like. ;)

I suppose I could force a slice down... purely in the interests of science you understand  ;)

Speaking of pears, I bookmarked this a while back Pear caramel tart looks just up my street. It's difficult finding 5 minutes to do anything at the moment. :(

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 18:25 »
Well Mrs Bees Apple & custard version has been very well received,so thank you  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 20:41 »
You're most welcome Snowy. it is nice to be able to pass on tried and tested recipes. :)

Thanks for the pear and caramel tart link Larders, I will give that a look in a moment.
I am not surprised you don't have 5minutes to spare what with work and looking after your mum.

Large slice of cheesecake is on its way. ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 20:48 »
Oh wow! That recipe is right up my street. THANKS.

Have to go to Spitalfields in a week or two for some conference pears and rhubarb among other things. So will have a little go at those.

I love baking and trying new recipes but I have to pace myself these days as there is a limit to the amount of cake even Mr Bee can eat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:34 »
Thanks very much, Mrs Bee, that sounds delicious, and I've added your recipe to my 'family recipe' file.  I cant wait for my rhubarb to grow so that I can try it out.

xx
Rhubarb and custard ice cream recipe

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 13:43
by chrissie B
xx
Rhubarb Cake

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2006, 16:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
hummus variations please

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 00:53
by maxibo
xx
Not custard tarts... but what?

Started by Dopey113 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 17:16
by tosca100

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.