Leek advice please

• 22 Replies

Riala

Re: Leek advice please
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 11:02 »
I pulled all mine yesterday... they have not changed in size since I put them in at the end of July.... should I have waited?

zazen999

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04 »
Yes - leeks can take 9-12 months to get big enough to eat.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 12:32 »
I pulled all mine yesterday... they have not changed in size since I put them in at the end of July.... should I have waited?

I must addmit this has not been a good year for leeks around my way. At first I thought it was just mine that were looking not-so-brilliant this year...then other people began to say the same thing.

Some of mine have bulked out but none look like they will give the bumper, reliable late Autumn and into Spring staple standby that I am used to. Disappointing. Only difference I think I have made from last year is to plant mainly on a new half-plot (loads of clay although I did add compost last year).

I don't worry about succession planting for leeks as, in a good year, they keep well in the soil right through to March from one (or two) plantings.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pushrod

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 13:04 »

will probs be lifting mine november through to january.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

pushrod

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 13:11 »
I have been trying to grow leeks with long, white shanks which my OH wants. I have dibbed holes at 6-7" when planting but on harvesting there is still not enough white length. Should I dib a bit deeper, or make a small trench and plant in that then earth up later on or does it depend on the variety?  :unsure:
Some show growers use a plastic tube within a tube, as the leek grows you lift up the outer tube to keep the stalk elongating.

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 16:37 »
Many thanks for all your advice. I think I will do the trench method next year and maybe bundle some tied straw around them later on as we have plenty of that here for sheep bedding.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Babstreefern

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 16:52 »
I actually made a mistake this year ???, because when I planted my leeks out, I planted them conventionally, ie I didn't make a hole and drop them in and then water, I just dug a small hole, and planted it, like I would a normal plant :wub:, but hey, they are coming up just as good and quite a large white stem as well :D.

Babs

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 19:08 »
I borrowed some space on my Mums lottie the year before last and threw some leek seeds in. I knew nothing about growing them and just thinned them out (replanting the thinnings) when they got crowded.

No deep holes or earthing up but they were the best leeks I've ever tasted!

Granted, they could have been whiter but I'm hoping to work on that with this years crop.

Fingers crossed they taste as good  ::)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

xx
Someone Please Leek Some Advice

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 23:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Leek advice

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2021, 08:38
by Christine
xx
Leek Advice

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 01:27
by Paul Plots
xx
can anyone offer advice on my leek seedlings

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 11:21
by mickeyboy

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 35 queries.