chick problem

• 2 Replies

Tony H

• Experienced Member
chick problem
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:53 »
Hi out of my last lot of eggs that i hatched one has got a problem at first it was doing fine but now he has got spread out legs and his vent keeps getting gunked up, its got to the stage where its legs are compleatlt spread out to the side, he's finding it hard to move about now is there anythink i can do or is it time to bite the bullet  :ohmy:
Chicken crazy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: chick problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 13:09 »
Hi Tony,

Have a look at this remedy for splayed/spraddle legs.

www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

I think for the pasty bum you can use a cloth dampened with cooled preboiled water.  Don't overwet and gently dry with clean towel or kitchen roll.  You may have to do this for a few days until it clears up.

Others will give you more advice from their experience.  Let us know how you get on.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: chick problem
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:11 »
Hey TonyH
When you clean his vent smear a little vasaline on the vent and it will not stick anymore.
As for the legs, I use a 2mm wide strip of vetwrap.
This is a crepe bandage that sticks to itself, it needs to be approx 2.5" long, loop round each leg and fasten in the middle. I have silkies so cannot use elastoplasts as it sticks to the feathers.
You can buy the vetwrap from agricultural stores, look in horse section, or the vets. It works a treat and is easy to put on if you are on your own!
You need to leave on for at least 7 days, maybe more. The chick will not be happy at first he will flip around a bit, but they get used to it within a couple of hours.
You need to check daily that it does not get too tight, but because it is a bandage it is a lot safer.
hope this helps. :D

xx
chick problem

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 19:33
by joyfull
xx
Chick with leg problem

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 14:33
by trinamc
xx
chick still got problem

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 09:28
by Casey76
xx
Problem with day old chick

Started by reecelily on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 06:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.