Hoarding

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Hoarding
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:48 »
I keep my calendars and desk diaries, and shopping notebook.   I have just been having a sort out, and these go back to 2013.   When I glanced through, they all practically read the same. Ridiculous.    That's it now, all gone into the recycling bin. Now I have got room in the drawer to start again  :D
Do you hoard anything  ?    (I don't mean seeds, thats another story  :lol:)    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Hoarding
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 13:07 »
I have also had a good sort out of all my files, books, ornaments etc. I have a file for instruction manuals and found quite a lot for things we don't have anymore, unwanted receipts and ornaments from years past, and about 60 books that I'll never read again.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 17:19 »
funny you should mention this topic it always comes up when I can't find anything my wife always says one must keep bills paid for two years before burning them  and that's not including our kids toys and books she  found the original document when my mother bought this house in 1947

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 21:30 »
funny you should mention this topic it always comes up when I can't find anything my wife always says one must keep bills paid for two years before burning them  and that's not including our kids toys and books she  found the original document when my mother bought this house in 1947

I think original house documents are always worth keeping, but I echo others' comments about out of date manuals …  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 14:35 »

Don't you dare go looking into my shed ! !

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 15:43 »
Our loft is full, and I mean FULL!   I have come to the conclusion that anything consigned to the loft because "we might need it one day", never actually sees the light of day again until it is put into a skip.  We are going to have a clear out and recycle that which is useful and dispose of anything that isn't - after all, how many computer monitors does anyone need, how many various cables and switches, none of which are EVER the one that is required. etc. etc. etc.  Of course, the minute we've got rid of it all, we will have a need for something that we have just disposed of!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 18:04 »
Plotfather was looking through his light bulb box the other day and found about a dozen bayonet type of differing wattages. We haven’t used this type of bulb for years. What was his comment on this discovery........ I’ll put them in the shed. 😱 he couldn’t give give a satisfactory answer when I asked why.
He is  a dreadful hoarder.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 20:48 »
I'm not sure this is a good idea but I'm going to join in anyway....2 of us,we have a 5 bed house. All the rooms are full, the garage is full, the loft is full....and Mrs rocket has a storage unit, that's also full.....

madcat

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 22:23 »
We had a light bulb sort out at my mothers and then back here, ending up with a box of bulbs for which there were no uses in either house.  I then freecycled it !! Before anyone got any ideas about keeping them.  To a very nice man with ideas of using the filament bulbs to keep cupboards warm and dry and the little pygmy bulbs to ...  I have a suspicion that he is a hoarder too and couldn't pass up the opportunity to add to his stock!  :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 11:54 »
I'm not sure this is a good idea but I'm going to join in anyway....2 of us,we have a 5 bed house. All the rooms are full, the garage is full, the loft is full....and Mrs rocket has a storage unit, that's also full.....

That would drive me mad as well  :lol:

Both my parents were dreadful horders and it made me hate clutter and mounds of 'stuff' that never gets used.  I just can't see the point of having things tucked into boxes and unopened for years on end.

We had to help my mum clear their 4 bed house after my father went and the amount we chucked or gave away via free-cycle and charity shops was mind boggling.  We even found packing cases in the cellar which they had not opened since they moved in 40 years previously  :ohmy: My mum is now filling her new house. so it didn't cure her  ::)

However, OH did say to me afterwards that he could see why I was so anti-hording and did a big project clearing out his 2 workshop units for his business, to the point where we could give up 1 unit.  It is a far nicer place to work now and saves £500 a month rent  :D

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 12:39 »
Referring back to the comment about keeping cupboards nice and warm. At R.A.F. Northolt it was standard practice to keep sets of sparkplugs for the De haviland Devons in a cupbard warmed by a single light bulb.

Cheers,  Tony

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 09:27 »

That would drive me mad as well  :lol:

Both my parents were dreadful horders and it made me hate clutter and mounds of 'stuff' that never gets used.  I just can't see the point of having things tucked into boxes and unopened for years on end.

We had to help my mum clear their 4 bed house after my father went and the amount we chucked or gave away via free-cycle and charity shops was mind boggling.  We even found packing cases in the cellar which they had not opened since they moved in 40 years previously  :ohmy: My mum is now filling her new house. so it didn't cure her  ::)

However, OH did say to me afterwards that he could see why I was so anti-hording and did a big project clearing out his 2 workshop units for his business, to the point where we could give up 1 unit.  It is a far nicer place to work now and saves £500 a month rent  :D

Wow that’s a big incentive to clear out the cr@p.
When we cleared my mums house we just couldn’t believe all the stuff she had bought half price or reduced & never used or given as gifts, most of it went to a charity shop, after a fortnight they wrote to me & said they’d made over £1000 in that time from her things & still counting.
I brought enough new things back home to initially use as raffle prizes for WI, then decided to offer them for our secret Santa that year, 50 ladies donated £2 for a gift & I did the same for sewing club so another 20 gifts disposed of there. It made it not seem such a waste. Although I did notice at WI that some came back for the bring & buy & for the charity stall we have once a year lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 13:10 »
Mentioning lofts, we need to sort the rest of the old stuff that was stored in there about 30 years ago. We still have the rolls of original carpet that was replaced, the remains of another roll of carpet left over from a bedroom make-over, various old tins of paint etc and, most importantly, I have an old photo album somewhere showing GG as a young 60's lass! My niece does like a good laugh God bless her.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 15:18 »
Till, clothing and other receipts.   ::)  Why ?   Mrs Bouquet

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 54 queries.