Globe Artichoke

• 4 Replies

Mr Bean

Globe Artichoke
« on: June 10, 2009, 22:47 »
I had a lovely Globe Artichoke on my allotment. It grew to a huge size and was covered in heads almost ready for picking. I went up tonight and it had collapsed outwards leaving only a stump of root in the ground. I think it was too heavy to carry its own weight and the heavy rain we had today probably weighed it down too much.
Heigh Ho perhaps it will live on to re grow next year.
I should have supported it and I did have a little alarm bell ringing in my head about it last week but I was too busy with other things to do anything about it.
Has anyone else had this experience? I've looked at several gardening books regarding the cultivation of Globe Artichokes but not one of them mentions the possibility of the plant becoming too big to support itself.

Brambles

Re: Globe Artichoke
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 22:59 »
I have two globe artichokes planted new this year... mine are not large enough yet to need staking nor are they quite ready to produce heads.   I have not read anywhere either that you have to support them... will wait with interest to hear if anyone else has had your problem.
I would expect that if you mulch well this autumn with a rich mulch, that would feed them well and you should get your proper harvest next year... I hope so :)

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 23:14 »
I had a very similar experience earlier this year except that the base had rotted though. Possibly because I had mulched around the base over winter (I didn't cut the plant down as per normal instructions). Happily, since then the stump has regrown and I'm hopeful that it might produce a globe or two.

Don't dig the stump out!

Mr Bean

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 18:12 »
I was wondering about the stump but if it's likely to grow again I'll let it be. I didn't cut mine down last year either. It survived the winter well and perhaps it had grown too big because of that.

Brambles

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 22:23 »
According to Mr. Titchmarsh.....  Globe artichokes do not need staking!   Mine are now quite large, not yet full height, I would say around waist high and so far definitely do not need staking..... They are in a sheltered place though.   
A farmer I know in France grows them commercially, he has fields of them and definitely no stakes.

xx
Globe Artichoke

Started by JimG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:40
by ajkula77
xx
globe artichoke

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 08:23
by Flump
xx
Globe artichoke

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 07:54
by arugula
xx
globe artichoke

Started by tracy-fuerteventura on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 15:08
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 35 queries.