two weeks in france = disasters in the garden!

• 2 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
two weeks in france = disasters in the garden!
« on: August 02, 2009, 18:19 »
Hello all,
I hope you are all enjoying the fruits of yours and natures labour. I have just returned from my holiday and although we had a friend keeping an eye on things, as expected we have returned to a few problems! I wonder if anyone can give advice with the below list?
Brocolli- The heads of the brocolli are huge now and the florets are opening and don't look right! I think we ahve missed the harvest time by a bit! Is it ok to eat like this?

Peas-our plants have been attacked by slugs, most of the plants don't have any leaves left. So sad about this as we'd only had one harvest before we left. Is it worth persuing by trying to keep the slugs at bay? I'm not sure if there is any chance of more peas when the plants are in such a bad way? There does seem to be some new growth on some of the plants though, so many cut back the ravaged bits?

Cabbages-most of these have been munched almost down to nothing! They were quite large before we left! I can't believe that slugs and snails can do this alone but they have been covered so I don't think anything larger would have been able to get in. Any ideas as to what may have done the damage?

Thanks in advance!

maxie

• Experienced Member
Re: two weeks in france = disasters in the garden!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 18:50 »
The large cabbage white butterfly is about just now ive just killed the first of their caterpillars on my brussels today,these are like locusts on brassicas and might have done your cabbages.
I would try your broccoli it might still be ok.
Are you sure the peas were done by slugs,not birds?

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
Re: two weeks in france = disasters in the garden!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 18:53 »
The trouble with veg growing is when a problem occurs it needs to be acted on straight away otherwise it spells disaster.  So 2 weeks away in the summer will always be problematical unless you can rely on someone to really take charge of the plot rather just keep an eye on it.  I now try to arrange holidays at different times or if not, expect the worst when I return.  Also keeping brassicas securely netted is a must or the blighters will get em. >:(

xx
Unexpected Disasters.....maybe?

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 09:58
by milkman
xx
Plug plant disasters

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 09:40
by Hampshire Hog
xx
soft fruit disasters

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 09:34
by chimaera
xx
brown cauli's and other disasters....

Started by purplenic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 10:25
by purplenic

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.