This years potatoes

• 18 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: This years potatoes
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 12:15 »
Although Jersey Royals are still the same shape, colour and texture as they always were, to me they usually lack the distinctive flavour they used to have.

I put that down to the reduction in the use of seaweed (locally known as 'vraic') traditionally used to fertilise the potato fields in Jersey.

Living about as far from a beach as you can be in the UK I don't have ready access to seaweed - my one attempt at growing International Kidney potatoes was a disappointment flavour-wise.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 22:46 »
I am afraid I am to tight to buy seed potatoes.  I just buy spuds from supermarket if I spot some I like, I put them on the kitchen table out of direct sunlight, wait for the black bits to show then plant. Always in bags but this year I will use some very large plant pots. 3 or 4 spuds in each. My own compost in the bottom half and bought compost on top. Don't use bags anymore despite having loads of them as they are cheap wilko ones and the handles rip off when I move them. The first lot I start in a greenhouse (double glazed and insulated roof. But they have to be removed before there ready as green fly hide in them. In fact they seem to attract them in the first place.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 08:28 »
We put seaweed on the tattie patch every year but I too find International kidney a disappointment . Must be more going on than that?

Rob the rake

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 00:13 »
If you like Charlotte you'll love Belle de Fontenay, an old French variety with awesome flavour (which improves with storage) and great keeping qualities. Excellent yields and good slug resistance, too.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
last years potatoes

Started by candygold1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 15:05
by candygold1
xx
Last years potatoes

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 08:49
by blackberryjam
xx
Last years potatoes?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 16:18
by Aidy
xx
last years potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2022, 08:54
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.