Unexpected hot weather

• 39 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 22:00 »
I've got toms on my south facing windowsill.  Don't tell MKH. 8)
Cheese makes everything better.

scentedstock

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 22:00 »
I've got heat stroke !!! and am now in bed recovering from a full weekend on the plot. My plot has sun ALL DAY and is the best plot on the whole site for sun.

noshed

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 23:20 »
A bit early yet. I've sown some carrots and lettuces in trays in my cold frame though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mkhenry

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 23:26 »
Every year we have a little spurt of great weather and I have watched realy good gadeners start to set out their veg beds.  And the next thing you know the weather goes back with a vengence.

Do you remember last April.  Well every year I just itch to start getting it in the ground.  So the warning was to ME as well to make sure I got the message DONT DO IT, Henry WAIT,  but is so hard not to join in thinking ,"this year it will be ok"  or  "Just a few plants it. will be alright."

So I am as bad as the rest of us I just don't want to wait,  But experience as taught to listen at least to this bit of advice. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Ice

• muck spreader
Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 23:31 »
My toms are strictly indoors.  I got caught out last year by frost and won't make the same mistake again.   :(

brucesgirl

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 08:40 »
Our allotment site had loads of people down there this weekend - they were all on chairs snoozing in the sun.  :lol:

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 08:49 »
My leanto is south facing as are my windowsills in here so I am planning on planting tommies, chillies and herbs in there this week whilst the kiddiwinks are away. I just need to get the house tidy first - at least the garage is clear now! I'm also waiting for some windowsill propogators to be delivered !!! :D

Jaye

eco-friendly

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:36 »
hi i spent all weekend on the plot chopping down brambles, wasnt planning on planting anything till easter but a lady from a neighbouring plot came and gave me some strawberry plants that she had taken out of her plot.not knowing what else to do i dug a small bed and planted them.
did i do wrong? any advice? will they survive frosts? also everyone has a different opinion on wether to cover them or not!!!! my grandad used to grow alot of strawberries and he never coverd them.
for thousands of years men and women managed to grow fruit and veg for thier families without petrol strimmers,rotovaters,plastic sheets,cars or round-up.

Rob the rake

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 09:40 »
Quote from: "666"
This is my first year growing from seed, so am I right in thinking it is okay to start off my seedlings? Chillis, toms and cucumbers?

Gulps nervously! :oops:

Chillies yes, toms in 2 weeks or so (indoor toms). Cukes about a month before you intend to plant them out. This assumes that you can supply a little heat for germination and that you have somewhere warm and well-lit to keep your plants for growing on..
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

• Experienced Member
Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 10:07 »
Yep, all the seeds are lovely and warm on the window in the spare room.  After this they will head towards to the greenhouse.  They will not be heading out for sometime though!

I only planted a couple of cumcumbers, by the sounds of things I will have to re-sow in a month or so.  I'll just play that one by ear.  I only need 1 or 2 plants to supply what my family needs so it's not the end of the world if 2 seeds don't make it!

Last year I had 1 cucumber plant and I was amazed at how many fruits it produced!  We couldn't eat them fast enough and were harvesting 5 large cucumbers per week.  Trying some different varieties this year.

paintedlady

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 10:13 »
Quote from: "666"

I only planted a couple of cumcumbers, by the sounds of things I will have to re-sow in a month or so.  I'll just play that one by ear.  I only need 1 or 2 plants to supply what my family needs so it's not the end of the world if 2 seeds don't make it!

I've done the same - if it plays well, then I reckon I'll be harvesting some cucumbers earlier than everyone else, but if not then no big loss and still loads of time to sow later on :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

pepper

• Experienced Member
Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 11:02 »
Well, any ideas about planting has been swept away for me as I had about a ton of manure delivered yesterday (honestly I am not exaggerating)!
I went up to the lottie yesterday to do some weeding in the sunshine and there it was. I had ordered a trailer full at the beginning of the year but the farmer wouldn't deliver because it was too muddy.
After 4 hours of shifting it from the communal path I haven't even made a dent in it. So I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the week - with a break to go to the dentist to have horrible things done on Thursday.
Agh, well I just know it will be worth it!
monica

diggerjoe

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 13:52 »
Its hard this waiting - I made the mistake of looking at a few seeds sites on line  - just to pass the time of course, and just incase I had forgotten to buy something (which I hadn't) only to find myself buying more seeds  :shock:   - Have a few peppers started on the kitchen windowcill at work - a case on not taking work home but bringing work in ( not that its really work)  :D

paintedlady

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 14:14 »
:( It is absolutely gorgeous here - wall to wall sunshine - and I'm stuck at work :cry:

By the time of the weekend, it sounds like we are in for a chilly cold spell that seems to be sweeping across northern europe from russia :shock:   That'll be a rude awakening for everyone thinking it was spring :wink:

diggerjoe

Unexpected hot weather
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 15:52 »
I know the feeling Painted lady - stuck at work as well  :cry:  to make it even worse I work by the canal I have the doors open onto the quayside  and there are boats tied up with people sunbathing :x  :x  and now they are cooking bacon :x  :x  it couldn't get more frustrating -  roll on 5.30

xx
unexpected veg!

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 22:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
an unexpected surprise!!

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:49
by JaK
xx
Unexpected Disasters.....maybe?

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 09:58
by milkman
xx
Unexpected surprises on the plot. :-)

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 21:24
by bravemurphy

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.