Crown Prince squash seed supplier

• 7 Replies

flyguy

Crown Prince squash seed supplier
« on: February 26, 2019, 20:12 »
Hi everyone,
I really enjoyed by Crown Prince squash I grew last year. The trouble was, only 1 of the 5 seeds that I bought grew into plants that actually produced the lovely grey blue squash I wanted. The others turned into standard orange pumpkin variety. Seeds were F1 hybrids from Kings Seeds. Can anyone recommend a seed supplier in the UK that can be relied on, it's a long time to wait between sowing and growing to find out you aren't producing what you thought you were.....
Thanks in advance

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Crown Prince squash seed supplier
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 20:16 »
https://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/courgette-and-squash/squash-and-pumpkin/squash-crown-prince

Always had excellent seeds from them, though they are pricey.

Also have been happy with justseed, cheaper but not tried this variety to know that it's a 100% cert

https://justseed.com/products/squcro001

Didiaskew

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 06:21 »
Premier seeds direct sell them I get all my seed from them and never had any problems with quality and all seeds are between 69p and 99p per packet. Just checked their site crown prince are 99p for 20 seeds
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:23 by Didiaskew »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:21 »
Premier seeds direct sell them I get all my seed from them and never had any problems with quality and all seeds are between 69p and 99p per packet. Just checked their site crown prince are 99p for 20 seeds

I have used them too and have not had any issues.. sensible price as well.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27 »
TBH I think all of the seed suppliers make occasional mistakes and I couldn't recommend any of them as foolproof. I have, in the past, had squash seed from Premier seeds direct, that weren't the variety I ordered - all perfectly edible, but that isn't really the point is it?

All you can do is complain when it becomes obvious what has happened, if you can be bothered, usually it means you get a voucher towards next year's seeds.

flyguy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 16:16 »
Thanks for the responses, it sounds like at some success with premier seeds, although not sure mumofstig's experience was specific to crown prince. I know no 100% guarantees just trying to give my self a better chance of the right result.

I wonder if cross pollination could have been a factor with my experience, does that seem likely with F1 hybrids? Although it isn't clear if premier seeds are F1 or not

Thanks again

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 16:24 »
It wouldn't be cross-polination as an issue here as all F1 seeds will be true. The most likely scenario is that other seeds were mixed in with the F1 seeds during packing. I could bore you to death with a Punnet square explanation of F1 seeds and dominant and recessive alleles, but I shall refrain ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 17:00 »
Squashes cross-pollinate so readily that I'm surprised unintended hybrids don't occur more often (or perhaps they do but not everyone notices. :unsure:)

Doesn't matter whether the seeds are F1 or open pollinated, it only takes one mistake, possibly a few generations before, to get some unintended results.

As an aside, I grew Crown Prince last year (seeds from Premier Seeds Direct) and the only problem was the sheer size of the fruits (not many, but each about a stone in weight - one only has so many friends and neighbours!) Giving Uchiki Kuri a try this year - hopefully a bit more manageable size-wise.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Crown prince squash

Started by Ian321 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 22:16
by Ian321
xx
Crown prince squash

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 12:34
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Crown Prince Squash

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 15:45
by Totty
xx
Crown Prince Squash

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 13:03
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 39 queries.