Storing Carrots - Does anyone just leave them in the ground?

• 8 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Hi - My carrots have done really well this year and have alot still in the ground. Do I really need to take them up & store them or can I just leave them in the ground & just dig them up as I need them? I was told that they are perfectly fine in the ground the whole winter but wanted to check this is the case.
also do they bolt at any time?
Thank you

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Storing Carrots - Does anyone just leave them in the ground?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18 »
To answer the question in the thread title. Yes.

As regards bolting, they won't grow a lot now and will just sit there until spring when they will go to seed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

veggieman

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:33 »
I agree.

I have always left mine in the ground until they are needed.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:46 »
Excellent, just what I wanted to hear  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58 »
That's saved some work hasn't it?

You may find a few tops nibbled by mice etc., but I've never lost many whole ones and you can't beat the "straight out of the ground" taste.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:08 »
Exactly DD & I do love the feeling of pulling them up in wonder as to how big they are going to be. Have certainly pulled up some funny looking * this year too. One the size of my hand which had 5 fingers too! Love it. :)
I don't mind sharing with a few hungry mice, I have plenty. Is it safe at any time soon to lift the enviromesh?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:20 »
Mice may eat them later in the Winter. Sometimes they hollow out the roots from below and just leave the skin. Look fine until you go to pull them.

Usually the tops are enough to protect them but you can cover later in the Winter with straw / bracken / or anything else that is to hand.

As with parsnips, if you put a stick in each end of the row and move one along as you dig you will be able to find them when the tops are gone or under the snow.

Once the weather turns cool carrot fly maggots will pupate for the Winter rather than hatching into flies. Even if eggs are layed the maggots are unlikely to develop enough to do harm. I would say that your carrots are safe now. Probably?

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 14:01 »
Thanks Salmo,
That's a really good tip with the sticks, I did have trouble locating the snips last year in all that snow & gave up in the end! Didn't get any carrots last year, they were a total failure so want to get it right this year  :)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 18:29 »
Mice may eat them later in the Winter. Sometimes they hollow out the roots from below and just leave the skin. Look fine until you go to pull them.

I had this yesterday, but it wasn't mice - it was small slugs...how do i know? He was still inside merrily chomping away!!  >:(

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.